First peer at Red Hook Piers

cruiserking

Not such a horrible view from the aft end of a berthed ship at the new terminal. Come April the cityscape sailaway will be condensed from 30 minutes to three and a half.

Cruiserking

Isn't that the way these days- Rush through everything. Tivo of the seas! Skip the Fol--de-rol!

Um- I thought this terminal was already built, just being redone for passenger use?

Oh well!

I guess this means there's still time for us to choose the drapes and carpet then!

And isn't that Manhattan skyline behind it? So they'll put those 25 cent sightseeing telescopes on the stern for sailaway! more profit for the company! <G>

Karie

Who is being facetious!

Made the trip to Red Hook... very dull. Arrivals and departures heretofore will sadly lack the "bang" of classic Manhattan west side piers departures and arrivals. I will be on the 2007 QE2 world cruise and cannot imagine the departure from Red Hook.

Carol,

I'd much rather leave out of the west side piers, but, I'm rather curious to see how the new Brooklyn Cruise Terminal will turn out.

Front and center we were for the big sailaway. We braved the sleet and chill winds but, the payoff was quite thrilling. About 50 or so passengers hunkered down for the mesmerizing view that loomed before us.

I can still see that immense span of steel, that is the Verrazanno Narrows Bridge, as we seemingly flirted with smacking the funnel up against it, then effortlessly sailed underneath. Another successful sailaway under the big bridge met by whoops and cheers from the die-hards who'd stuck it out from our frozen perch high atop QM2. All the while helicopters flanked our sides flying serpentine patterns as we gradually steamed our way out to sea.

C. Jonathan

m91vk9.jpg

The Concierge at the Algonquin hotel reckoned it would cost $50-60 for a taxi from Red Hook terminal to the Times Square district.

Can that be right for a ten mile journey?

That would probably be about right, unless the taxi commission initiates a "flat rate" as they have done from JFK. The waiting time, if you take the BQE, could really run up the bill. If you don't take the BQE, lots of surface street driving, which will make it much further than 10 miles. And finding taxi's in that area will be difficult. Taxi drivers generally stay away from any of the Brooklyn piers.

Jonathan...Great photo!!!!!Really awesome!!! Another one for my admittedly biased collection of QM2 photos! Glad to read that your trip was a success and much enjoyed by all. Now if December would only get here soon.....I'd start packing now if my stuff wouldn't get so wrinkled!

Thanks, Penny

Any suggestions as to what would be the best way to get to the new piers coming from Manhattan (Penn station)? Would public transportation be too much of a hassle?

This was discussed a while back - the nearest subway stations are over a mile away.....through an area you wouldn't necessarily want to tarry in.....looks like its a $60 cab ride.....

Peter

This was discussed a while back - the nearest subway stations are over a mile away.....through an area you wouldn't necessarily want to tarry in.....looks like its a $60 cab ride.....

Peter

This is exactly correct Peter. Red Hook is fairly inaccessible as far as public transport goes. The subways basically bypass Red Hook all together, and the first stops after Manhattan and the tunnels to Brooklyn are quite a distance away from Red Hook.

Getting a cab from Red Hook won't be easy either, unless a ship is in port and the cab companies have been advised.

Here is a website about the area which is interesting.

http://www.southbrooklyn.net/r_hook.html

Someday it could be a nice place, but that is years down the road at best.

Ernie

Here is a website about the area which is interesting.

Ernie,

As the web site says of a planned IKEA store: "With narrow streets and no subway service, many resdents feel the traffic going to and from the IKEA would overwhelm the neighborhood."

I wonder if it will be a problem getting Taxis to go there - what chance of return fares?

Peter

Originally posted by Patwell

Now if December would only get here soon.....I'd start packing now if my stuff wouldn't get so wrinkled!

Penny,

December is too far away. Why not join us for the 5-night Independence Cruise out of fabulous Red Hook, Brooklyn. This way come December you'll know QM2 inside and out and be thoroughly prepared to enjoy yourself.

Jonathan

Ernie,

I wonder if it will be a problem getting Taxis to go there - what chance of return fares?

Peter

Peter,

I do thinks taxis are going to be an issue at Red Hook. Many cab drivers are not going to like taking passengers from Manhattan to Red Hook (good luck explaining to them where it is), as like you said the chance of a return fare will probably not be too great.

Also, Red Hook is not exactly an area where cabs cruise looking for fares. Chances are you will rarely see a cab just driving by.

The cruise lines will have to establish a relationship with the various cab companies to ensure there are enough when passengers disembark. It should be interesting.

I also feel sorry for the crew. They have such limited time off in port to begin with, and being in Red Hook will only take up more of their precious time to get wherever they want to go.

Ernie

Eroller

Also, Red Hook is not exactly an area where cabs cruise looking for fares. Chances are you will rarely see a cab just driving by.

Passengers can select one of the Cunard pre-arranged transportation options to the airports and Manhatten. They can choose van, car or limo service at varying prices.

Thanks Jonathan...best idea I've heard all week. Unfortunately not possible but I'll eagerly read all of your postings as that group of eager sailors gets ready to go. I'll just have to spend the rest of this year in fantasyland and obsession! Everyone will recognize me in Dec...I'll be the crazy woman running up the gangplank! Sure would be fun tho, even if I did just move away after 15 years living in the Bar Harbor area. Ahhhh, but isn't this the stuff dreams are made of tho? So just keep posting those great photos and I'll just clip and paste away.... by Dec I'll be salivating in excitement! Cheers, Penny

My Cunard rep made the trek from mid-town Manhattan to Red Hook last Saturday. Left Manhattan about 11 am. Took 35 minutes. They were in a limo, not a taxi.

They are building a new fenced parking lot with security.

Still a PITA to take Amtrak down.. and cab it to Brooklyn though.

My Cunard rep made the trek from mid-town Manhattan to Red Hook last Saturday. Left Manhattan about 11 am. Took 35 minutes.

Under normal circumstances during the week it will take much longer. After debarking QE2 on a Monday earlier this month it took 35 minutes just to get across town to the tunnel and over to Queens.

Ernie

Passengers can select one of the Cunard pre-arranged transportation options to the airports and Manhatten. They can choose van, car or limo service at varying prices.

I suspect the issue may be getting too the ship, rather than from it - as I'm sure Cunard/Princess will try to get cabs to meet the ship - whether you will get a random cab in Manhattan or at JFK to go to Red Hook may be another matter.

Peter

I suspect the issue may be getting too the ship, rather than from it - as I'm sure Cunard/Princess will try to get cabs to meet the ship - whether you will get a random cab in Manhattan or at JFK to go to Red Hook may be another matter.

Passengers who are staying in Manhatten hotels can have hotels call for taxis and passengers arriving at airports can pre-arrange for limo service.

Passengers who are staying in Manhatten hotels can have hotels call for taxis and passengers arriving at airports can pre-arrange for limo service.

In London taxis are legally obliged to take you anywhere within the Greater London area, and may only decline fares outside that area - if they don't, you can report them and their license is at risk. Is the same true in NY - must they take you anywhere within the five boroughs? My experience of Manhattan cabs is somewhat different.......setting to one side communication issues.......

Peter

We've just booked for 30th October from the UK, and I must admit that I feel a little disappointed that we won't be docking in Manhatton - I know if will be dark when we arrive, but it was just the thought of sailing right into the centre of New York. The only saving grace for us is tht transportation from the ship to the hotel is included in our fare!

Archived