First peer at Red Hook Piers

cruiserking

Here is an image I shot on April 15 at the Brooklyn Pier. On the lower left is Governer's Island, and Lower Manhattan, of course, is on the left in the distance.

You know, I guess I never really realized how TALL Manhattan is, until seeing Governor's Island in FRONT of it, and knowing those little low things are two and three story buildings! Manhattan against itself, well, they're ALL big!

Karie,

Who feels like she just flew in to the big city from Iowa~

I found the following information on about.com:

Getting to Red Hook/Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

Transportation here has always been tricky. Cabs are hard to come by, but there are alternatives.

Bus: The closest bus is the B61 which stops at Hicks and Sackett Sts. Going toward Red Hook, the B61 leaves Columbia St at Congress St, travels on Congress St, Hicks St, and Sackett St, then returns to its regular route along Van Brunt St.

Subway:You can take the F/G to Smith/9th and get the B77 bus (on the right downstairs from the subway exit) That will take you into Red Hook.

Car Service: Two local car services you can use are Cobble Hill Car Service, 718.643.1113 and Continental Car Service, 718.499.0909. It'll be anywhere from $14-20 to go from Red Hook to downtown Brooklyn or lower Manhattan.

UNQUOTE

Hope this helps. Do not be surprised, however, if the prices for the car services are higher than what is quoted. Seems too low to me!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone -

I've used my AAA online triptik to get directions from Pittsburgh to the new terminal in Brooklyn. Can anyone familiar with NYC tell me whether these directions will work, or whether there is a better way to get to the Pier?

25. BOYLE PLAZA becomes HOLLAND TUNNEL. Drive for 1.8 miles.

26. Go STRAIGHT on ramp towards WEST ST / RT-9A. Drive for a short distance.

27. Go STRAIGHT on LAIGHT STREET. Drive for 0.2 miles.

28. Turn LEFT onto N RIVER PIERS. Drive for 0.3 miles.

29. N RIVER PIERS becomes RT-9A S. Drive for 0.3 miles.

30. Go STRAIGHT on WEST SIDE HIGHWAY. Drive for 0.3 miles.

31. Turn SLIGHT LEFT to get on I-478 E towards BATTERY TUN / BROOKLYN / I-278. Drive for 2.3 miles.

32. Take exit number 26 towards HAMILTON AVE. Drive for 0.1 miles.

33. Go STRAIGHT on HAMILTON AVENUE. Drive for 0.1 miles.

34. Turn LEFT onto CLINTON STREET. Drive for a short distance.

35. Turn LEFT onto HAMILTON AVENUE. Drive for 0.5 miles.

36. Go STRAIGHT on SUMMIT STREET. Drive for a short distance.

37. Go STRAIGHT on IMLAY STREET. Drive for 0.1 miles.

38. Turn LEFT onto BOWNE STREET. Drive for a short distance.

39. You have reached the destination.

I think they match up fairly closely to the directions on the nycruiseterminal.com site, except for the last few roads. We'll be driving in on a Sunday if it makes a difference (leaving home around 6am and arriving in NYC in early afternoon probably).

Thanks!

They sound about right. When you get out of the tunnel and take the hamilton Avenue exit and they bring you back around the back of the tunnel, the Police have been closing Sunnit Street but they will be there to direct you. You make the left on Van Brundt and then a right on Bowne Street into the Pier. Fill you car up in NJ before entering the Tunnel, if you are low on gas you want to avoid buying gas in NY unless you have to.

It has been reported that unreserved Car service and cabs have been plentiful.

I'll be coming from Virginia to RedHook. Is 278 the highway I should take off of the NJ Turnpike? Thread

No you need to follow the signs to the holland tunnel which you get almost directly from the NJ Turnpike. Boyle Plaza becomes the Holland Tunnel after you leave the NJ Turnpike exit for the Holland Tunnel. Some people will tell you to go over Staten Island but I think these directions are easier.

I have only been in the NY area once when the terminal was in its former location and I apologize for my ignorance. Do you go through the tunnel to Manhattan then back across to RedHook? I haven't really looked at a map yet. Also, I board at 2:30. Is traffic a problem around 1 o'clock? Thank you- Thread the Serious

I have only been in the NY area once when the terminal was in its former location and I apologize for my ignorance. Do you go through the tunnel to Manhattan then back across to RedHook? I haven't really looked at a map yet. Also, I board at 2:30. Is traffic a problem around 1 o'clock? Thank you- Thread the Serious

Manhattan is an Island. You cross the Holland Tunnel from NJ into Manhattan and then take another Tunnel(the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel) From Manhattan to Brooklyn.

The Toll at the Holland is $6.00(only into Manhattan). The toll at the BBT is $4.00 each way.

Traffic is always a concern. Sunday is a relatively light traffic day but personally I would try to aim to be at the Holland Tunnel by 12:00. This will give you some time if there is a problem. Most ships sail around 4 and you have to be on by 3:30.

For me I aim to be on the ship by noon so if there are problems I have plenty of time

I took the 278/Staten Island route off of the NJ Turnpike (coming from the Philadelphia area) and had no trouble at all. It took 2 hours exactly. Maybe it's just me but I always get stuck in heavy traffic in NY tunnels. I try to avoid them! Also, I enjoyed going over the Goethels and Verrazano bridges and the views of the harbor (might as well make the whole thing an adventure, including the drive to the terminal! :rolleyes: )

It takes only a few minutes to get to the terminal from the exit off of Hamilton Ave and the signs are posted everywhere. The directions make it seem complicated but it's really easy.

The terminal is within a larger, fenced and guarded "compound." So you drive for a bit once inside the compound to get to the terminal and parking. I only mention this because the port authority's description of the area makes it sound like you park somewhere offsite and walk to the compound.

The parking lot is huge. The only downside is that you have to go through a tight and highly congested traffic circle to get to it.

Other than that, it's easy! I was pleasantly surprised.

joy

• 4 months later...

Please advise, we are cruising 10-18 from Red Hook. our bus from R.I. will

1st stop at the Manhattan cruise terminal, we will be there for 90min. before heading to Brooklyn bus terminal on Livingston st.

Is it feasible to get a taxi in the Manhattan cruise terminal to take us to Red Hook, or is it too far? compared to the distance from the bus station to Red Hook. I am assuming I can pick up taxis at both. thanks

Please advise, we are cruising 10-18 from Red Hook. our bus from R.I. will

1st stop at the Manhattan cruise terminal, we will be there for 90min. before heading to Brooklyn bus terminal on Livingston st.

Is it feasible to get a taxi in the Manhattan cruise terminal to take us to Red Hook, or is it too far? compared to the distance from the bus station to Red Hook. I am assuming I can pick up taxis at both. thanks

Its 20 minutes and about 8 miles from the NYPST to the one in Brooklyn. Brooklyn Bus Terminal on Livingston Street? I am not sure what you mean as far as I am aware there is no bus terminal on livingston street...is this greyhound? you will be better off taking a cab from the Mnhattan cruise terminal...if that is where it stops first...

I don't know Brooklyn (grew up in Manhattan) but I have been to the Red Hook Terminal and, just based on what Mapquest shows, it appears that all of Livingston Street in Brooklyn is no more than a mile from the pier. So a taxi from wherever the bus terminal is to Red Hook will be a lot cheaper than a taxi from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal to Red Hook. And you have nothing to lose by asking your bus driver to take you to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, especially since you can afford to offer a tip equal to the cab fare from Livingston St!

One of the best things about the QM2 docked at Red Hook is that you can see it from miles away (even from New Jersey where I now live) so it will be easy for your cab or bus driver to find.

Bon voyage,

Paul

I live 5 blocks from Livingston Street. there is no bus terminal there. Also catching a yellow cab from Livinston Street can be best described as challenging. Manhattan is much easier. You can call and have a car service pick you up(Arecibo is the one I recommend) and they will be there within 5 minutes of your call....I used Arevibo to the Cruise terminal last week and they charged $8.00---I gave them $15.00...

I believe they said it is rather new, it is Greyhound and the address given to me says 288 Livingston st. zip 11201. when I spoke to someone at that # they said it would be a 20 min. trip?! how does that compare to Manhattanicon6.gif? I'd rather not hang out for 90min in Manhattan waiting to get to the ship! you guys are lifesavers for this info!!icon7.gif

I believe they said it is rather new, it is Greyhound and the address given to me says 288 Livingston st. zip 11201. when I spoke to someone at that # they said it would be a 20 min. trip?! how does that compare to Manhattanhttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon6.gif? I'd rather not hang out for 90min in Manhattan waiting to get to the ship! you guys are lifesavers for this info!!http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Its not a terminal. They are dropping you on the street. They may have a storefront there. I'll check later today to make sure. I repeat you will have a problem getting a yellow cab. Its not that its unsafe I walk there all the time to catch a subway but its not the most appetisizing place. Yes without traffic its 20 minutes but most of the time expect to take slightly longer. Buses have to take the streets and take the Manhattan or Williamsburg Bridges...

here is a map. Its Livingston between Bond and Nevins. I live on Bergen Between Hoyt and Bond.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?address=288%20Livingston%20St&city=Brooklyn&state=NY&zipcode=11217%2d1002&country=US&title=%3cb%3e288%20Livingston%20St%3c%2fb%3e%3cbr%20%2f%3e%20Brooklyn%2c%20NY%2011217%2d1002%2c%20%20US&cid=lfmaplink2&name=

The Brooklyn Cruise terminal is just off the map at the lower left hand corner(you facing the map)...

and according to mapquest its 11217(Times Station-my zip) not 11201(main brooklyn post office).

If you click on the map's left hand zoom in and out- out one click. The Cruise terminal is where it says upper NY harbor- while it doesn't say it that is buttermilk channel between Governors Island and Brooklyn.

You will also note that at the location it says Long Island. That is because Brooklyn-Kings County- is the Western most county of Long Island. Long Island is made up of four counties Brooklyn(kings) Queens{both inside NYCity} and Nassau and Suffolk Counties which make up the eastern end of Long Island outside NY City.

Archived