Brief Review Equinox Eastern 2/16-2/23

keesar

We just returned from a really enjoyable cruise on the Equinox. Highly recommended.    Here we go:

Highlights

- There was a great variety in music with the House Band playing on several evenings in the Atrium and Ensemble Lounge.  Performed in the theater as well.

- The bakery chefs were just outstanding.  The desserts tasted as good as they looked!  Great bread and rolls.

- No waits at bars for drinks. Note straws are now made of paper.

- The Celebrity Whale Watching Excursion in Samana was exceptional.  Saw numerous whales but the seas were rough as we approached the opening of the harbor. Bags were provided....     North  Atlantic humpbacks winter there with  the babies.

- The Staff in Blu was exceptional and worked as a team.  Food was of high quality and served hot.

- Discounts were abundant for the Specialty Restaurants.     20-30%.

- Improved production shows with familiar songs added.  Singers and dancers were just  on  board in their 3rd week and were really good. Excellent nightly entertainment.

- Dinner 5 in Oceanview was  a Fish Market theme.  8 varieties of grilled fish for you to choose from.  I ordered Red Snapper and  swordfish.

Lowlights

- Arrival in San Juan.  We pulled up to the pier at 3:10 and did not get off until 4:30.  Told by an officer "This one you can blame on the Captain".  We were surprised to hear that!

- Floors were slippery in the OceanView Buffet. There was one nasty fall and we noted others slipping.  Wear shoes with good traction.

Other Info:

- Walk off by self began shortly after 7:35 a.m.  3 agents checking Passports in Miami but we got through quickly.  Made it to FLL before 9 am.

- Our excursions included St John's Trunk Bay Snorkel,  Atlantis Aquarium in Nassau and Whale Watching in Samana--all thru the excursion desk.

3 hours ago, keesar said:

We just returned from a really enjoyable cruise on the Equinox. Highly recommended.    Here we go:

Highlights

- There was a great variety in music with the House Band playing on several evenings in the Atrium and Ensemble Lounge.  Performed in the theater as well.

- The bakery chefs were just outstanding.  The desserts tasted as good as they looked!  Great bread and rolls.

- The Celebrity Whale Watching Excursion in Samana was exceptional.  Saw numerous whales but the seas were rough as we approached the opening of the harbor. Bags were provided....     North  Atlantic humpbacks winter there with  the babies.

- The Staff in Blu was exceptional and worked as a team.  Food was of high quality and served hot.

- Improved production shows with familiar songs added.  Singers and dancers were just  on  board in their 3rd week and were really good. Excellent nightly entertainment.

- Dinner 5 in Oceanview was  a Fish Market theme.  8 varieties of grilled fish for you to choose from.  I ordered Red Snapper and  swordfish.

Lowlights

- Arrival in San Juan.  We pulled up to the pier at 3:10 and did not get off until 4:30.  Told by an officer "This one you can blame on the Captain".  We were surprised to hear that!

- Floors were slippery in the OceanView Buffet. There was one nasty fall and we noted others slipping.  Wear shoes with good traction.

Other Info:

- Walk off by self began shortly after 7:35 a.m.  3 agents checking Passports in Miami but we got through quickly.  Made it to FLL before 9 am.

- Our excursions included St John's Trunk Bay Snorkel,  Atlantis Aquarium in Nassau and Whale Watching in Samana--all thru the excursion desk.

Discounts on specialty restaurants....were they for specific nights at specific restaurants or just discounts overall?     Wondering because we booked Murano for our second to last cruise night on Equinox and I'm thinking I might cancel it if they offer discounts once on board??

4 hours ago, keesar said:

Highlights

Lowlights

Other Info:

How did you like the Trunk Bay Snorkel?  We’re looking at that for our June sailing.

2 hours ago, Pier290 said:

Discounts on specialty restaurants....were they for specific nights at specific restaurants or just discounts overall?     Wondering because we booked Murano for our second to last cruise night on Equinox and I'm thinking I might cancel it if they offer discounts once on board??

I know discounts were available for the first night and third through last night at Murano, Tuscan Grill and Silk Harvest.  The third night (San Juan) was being heavily discounted and all of the Specialty Restaurants were very quiet. The last two night were also very quiet.  I could not believe how quiet these restaurants were on this particular cruise.

My advice is if you are celebrating a special occasion and/or prefer a particular time, keep your reservation.  You never know about the laws of supply and demand....

2 hours ago, X2tgibso said:

How did you like the Trunk Bay Snorkel?  We’re looking at that for our June sailing.

We really enjoyed going to St. John.  Our ship was docked at Crown Bay and we walked off the pier right to the  excursion boat to take us there.  The boat was new and comfortable.  Once we landed at St. John, we took an open air bus to the beach.  Free snorkeling equipment and vests  were provided as were showers, changing rooms, and bathrooms.  The beach was beautiful and there was a nice variety of fish. Not a top snorkeling destination but fun.  Seems that the reef and land are still recovering from the hurricanes.  Water was crystal clear with great visibility.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, keesar said:

I know discounts were available for the first night and third through last night at Murano, Tuscan Grill and Silk Harvest.  The third night (San Juan) was being heavily discounted and all of the Specialty Restaurants were very quiet. The last two night were also very quiet.  I could not believe how quiet these restaurants were on this particular cruise.

My advice is if you are celebrating a special occasion and/or prefer a particular time, keep your reservation.  You never know about the laws of supply and demand....

How were they about pushing the specialty restaurants and packages?  Have seen on other threads where workers have been quite pushy on some ships to get cruisers to sign up....I do not want to be chased down the hall when coming back from an excursion!

1 hour ago, CardRock said:

How were they about pushing the specialty restaurants and packages?  Have seen on other threads where workers have been quite pushy on some ships to get cruisers to sign up....I do not want to be chased down the hall when coming back from an excursion!

No one's going to chase you down the hall. The people who make the reservations are usually at one entrance to the Oceanview Cafe and near the specialty restaurants themselves. Sometimes near the picture-taking station on Deck 5, close to the elevators. If you're not interested, say, "No, thanks" and keep walking.

1 hour ago, CardRock said:

We had no pressure to upgrade our Classic Beverage Package.  However, on the second night as we were by the Cafe listening to music in the Atrium, they were relentless for the Tuscan Grill for the night in San Juan.  We had already dined in Murano and loved it.  We have not been happy with the change of menu in Tuscan Grill.  They offered 50% off but we refused.  "What can I get for you to get you to come?"  I said "FREE and that would be the only way I would dine there".  They  then left.  

• Haha 1