Celebrity W. Caribbean to Viking 2020 Adriatic

horatio123

Hi there.  New to this section of forum.  Just completed a 7 night on the Equinox today.  First ocean cruise ever and tried it out as we have the Viking Italian Sojourn booked for May 2020.  This is my concern and need your expertise.  I spent the whole week very effected by motion sickness.  Ship gave me Meclizine and I used it twice a day for whole time.  Every time it came to night time , could feel the vibration of the ship when I sat at dining, in cabin and especially in bed.  That plus movement messed me up with nausea, fatigue when ship was moving.  Home today and off meclizine...headache, spacey, nauseous, floaty.  I cannot see going on our Viking ship and going through all this again.  Do you have any ideas?  

See a doctor while you are still experiencing the symptoms to make sure that there is not something more going on and if there are better ways of dealing with the symptoms.

You have spent a lot of money on your cruise and it is better to find out what is going on with your body before it is too late to get your money back -- or even worse, you spend another cruise so drugged that you can't enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Peregrina651

DW also is affected by motion sickness and uses a tiered response, depending on the degree of motion.

We start with cabin selection, always opting for the lowest deck that has cabins below & always as close to midships, as possible. Aboard ship, movement is extenuated further fwd/aft and on higher decks.

When we get gentle movement, she applies her C-bands, which apply pressure on her wrist. Used them for many years so she has learned the best placement by trial & error. If heavy weather forecast, she applies s patch about 12 hrs before. Noted you mentioned Canada, so the Scopolomine patches are available over the counter. Side affects vary, so best to check before actually boarding a ship.

These are two very different cruises.  Caribbean in February can be windy and bouncy, especially near Grand Cayman.  You had two sea days and had to cross the entire Gulf of Mexico.

Your upcoming Viking sailing is in May, a hopefully milder month, with no sea days as the ship pretty much hugs the coast of Italy.

We have had great success with Meclizine patch (1 patch lasts 3 days).

I highly recommend a ReliefBand which can be purchased on Amazon. It gives you an electrical impulse that you can set at different rates. You start at 1 and can move to 5. I love this item as there is no medication & it doesn’t affect your sleep or drinking. I take it with me every time we sail but I rarely seem to need it any longer. If we go out on a smaller boat for an excursion, that is when I am most likely to need it.

I agree with another poster that you really should get yourself checked out. On a ship the size of the Equinox (love Celebrity’s S class ships) you really should not be that affected. But you may just be one of the unlucky ones who is highly susceptible to motion. 

I ordered a relief band online before I left..forget the brand name right now, it was baby blue and used often for pregnancy nausea.  Tried it on and it was suggested I try the settings before using it for real.  I put it on low, the feeling for me was quite strong, left it on for a couple minutes then had to remove it.  I spent the next two days with nausea and headaches.  Pharmacist told me I probably activated some nerves in the area which caused the feel of motion sickness.  Also said there was a reason these were not sold in Canada.

Seas were reasonably calm except for between Cozumel and the Caymans.  You are right!

11 minutes ago, horatio123 said:

I ordered a relief band online before I left..forget the brand name right now, it was baby blue and used often for pregnancy nausea.  Tried it on and it was suggested I try the settings before using it for real.  I put it on low, the feeling for me was quite strong, left it on for a couple minutes then had to remove it.  I spent the next two days with nausea and headaches.  Pharmacist told me I probably activated some nerves in the area which caused the feel of motion sickness.  Also said there was a reason these were not sold in Canada.

Seas were reasonably calm except for between Cozumel and the Caymans.  You are right!

So sorry you had a back reaction to it. It was a lifesaver for me on an excursion - I was hanging over the side of the boat for a good 2 hours, got a severe sunburn. Then a friend gave me her band to try & it was like a miracle! Five minutes later I’m bouncing around looking for food.