Flirted with Allure OTS but decided on Epic

We are back to cruising after taking different kinds of vacations the past few years. Our youngest is graduating from college in May 2020 and we are surprising her with a cruise with mom and dad to mark her achievement (but also ours in putting four through college!). We had decided that we want a few days in Barcelona followed by a week long Western Med cruise. Allure OTS is slightly less expensive than Epic and the cabins are bigger and it's a newer ship and I had decided that we'd give it a go but then...I like NCL better than RCI. I like freestyle dining. I've never had a bad cruise because I'm paying for a fun vacation and I make sure that's what I get but after two RCI cruises, one long Celebrity cruise and too many NCL cruises to think about, I just like the NCL product better. I'm going to book a studio for our daughter, take her to see Pompeii and Florence and Barcelona and my husband and I will move on to the next stage of our lives. So I'm very excited!

Sounds great!  What a surprise!

We have sailed on the Epic 6 times (twice in the Med). It is a great trip. 

We we totally agree about Freestyle cruising. We have recently cruised on the Anthem, Allure, Symphony, and Harmony. We always take MyTime dining. Even in the fixed seating, many tables are empty because everyone is off in specialty restaurants. 

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sounds great!  What a surprise!

We have sailed on the Epic 6 times (twice in the Med). It is a great trip. 

We we totally agree about Freestyle cruising. We have recently cruised on the Anthem, Allure, Symphony, and Harmony. We always take MyTime dining. Even in the fixed seating, many tables are empty because everyone is off in specialty restaurants. 

Thanks for sharing your experience of the Epic. We sailed it once when it was introduced and I enjoyed most things about it.  I really dislike fixed seating. I understand that many people prefer it but it always makes me feel like I'm expected to be there at a certain time. On our Celebrity TA our tablemates would always say "Oh, where were you guys last night?" To each his own but it's not for me. 

We also only do anytime dining on NCL, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. When booking online for Celebrity and Royal cruises, if it says 'anytime' not available, I call and do the cruise reservation with an agent. When we get to the part in the booking when I am asked 'early' or 'late' dining, I say "anytime". Then I am told it is not available and I say "cancel the reservation" I am in the process of making as will only cruise with 'anytime' dining, then always miraculously 'anytime' dining becomes available to book.