Are you annoyed by my vague thread title? Me too! I did it on purpose to support my point. 

There are so very many topics started with vague, seemingly pointless thread titles. Some include, but are not limited to:

”Question...”

”Quick UBP question”

”Kids”

... and more. 

These topics add noise to the forums and are not conducive of focused discussions, which is the entire point of a thread. It’s just noise. 

I propose community guidelines that require threads to be titled accurately and articulately, similar to most other forums on the internet.

39 minutes ago, slugg said:

Are you annoyed by my vague thread title? Me too! I did it on purpose to support my point. 

There are so very many topics started with vague, seemingly pointless thread titles. Some include, but are not limited to:

”Question...”

”Quick UBP question”

”Kids”

... and more. 

These topics add noise to the forums and are not conducive of focused discussions, which is the entire point of a thread. It’s just noise. 

I propose community guidelines that require threads to be titled accurately and articulately, similar to most other forums on the internet.

Yeah, good luck with that.

There are new members every day that have no clue about forums, how to post, what works, any number of issues about how things work.  I really think that it's a pipe dream on your part.

While I'll admit I'm not on a whole lot of forums here on the internet, none of them have title requirements.

Yes, it would be great if all posters would title their new threads with specificity.  But as Shmoo said, there are tons of CC members who are just flummoxed by how to post, where to post, etc.  Not only would "title" guidelines create additional issues for them (and others), but who would monitor all of the many boards and decide which new thread titles did or did not pass muster?  And in what time frame?  And if they don't pass muster, then what -- would they have to communicate with the poster to explain the problem?   

The Mods are volunteers.  It took more than half a day yesterday for one of the Mods to take down a bunch of posts in a thread in a cruise line forum in which women were being called disgusting words I don't care to repeat.  I am not complaining about that Moderator, they all have lives; I'm just making the point that they have plenty to do on here as it is. I'd rather they spent their CC time making sure that threads don't deteriorate into ugliness.

There are many of us on here who, when reading a thread started by an inexperienced poster that could be more specifically titled, will kindly explain to that poster that the more specific the thread title, the more likely she or he is to get folks to look at that thread who have the information being sought.

Of course, if someone doesn't want to open a thread that is lacking what they consider to be sufficient specificity, they don't have to.

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1