Platinum Dinners Vs. SDP

Oakman58

I have a question for those who are experienced with the Platinum Latitudes complimentary dinners.  On my last cruise we had the Free at Sea SDP package and we also qualified for the two Latitudes complimentary dinners.

When we used the SDP, after dinner we were presented with a bill that showed nothing was owed but there was a space on the bill to write in a gratuity.  Even though the gratuity was paid with the SDP I usually add a small amount to increase the gratuity.

When we used the Platinum Latitudes dinners there was no bill presented.   I asked the waiter for our bill and he told us our dinner was comped and we could leave when we were ready.  I left a cash tip on the table at these two dinners.

So I’m asking if the absence of a physical bill at the Latitudes dinners is normal.  I ask this because I feel it was the comped Latitudes dinners where a tip really should be given.  

Edited by Oakman58

I usually do as you did and leave a cash tip for the server when I have a Platinum dinner, I have never sailed with the SDP so I am not sure how that works.  I would agree with your thinking though, you have already paid the gratuities on the SDP, so I think for exceptional service I might tip a little extra there as well.  I can't ever remember getting a bill with the platinum dinner, that is why I tip in cash for the server.

Edited by travelnap

3 minutes ago, dcruiser50 said:

I always tip in cash for the platinum member free dinner coupon, and only for exceptional service with the sdp

I do this as well for the platinum dinner and sdp.  Have always had exceptional service with the sdp.

Edited by NLH Arizona

21 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I have a question for those who are experienced with the Platinum Latitudes complimentary dinners.  On my last cruise we had the Free at Sea SDP package and we also qualified for the two Latitudes complimentary dinners.

When we used the SDP, after dinner we were presented with a bill that showed nothing was owed but there was a space on the bill to write in a gratuity.  Even though the gratuity was paid with the SDP I usually add a small amount to increase the gratuity.

When we used the Platinum Latitudes dinners there was no bill presented.   I asked the waiter for our bill and he told us our dinner was comped and we could leave when we were ready.  I left a cash tip on the table at these two dinners.

So I’m asking if the absence of a physical bill at the Latitudes dinners is normal.  I ask this because I feel it was the comped Latitudes dinners where a tip really should be given.  

Your waiter person was correct but we, like you, always leave something extra for their hard work. Well, that is when they do work hard and usually they do. I do not always leave extra when using the SDP because that has been paid in advance. Again it depends on service. It is like tipping for your beverages at the bar if you have the UBP. Sometimes if we have a bar tender or wait person that is really nice and friendly we tip an extra $ but not always. 

• Like 1