Stavanger / Pulpit disembark time

We were planning doing Pulpit hike ourselves getting ferry to tau and then bus to lodge where hike starts , the problem is we would have to get the 9 am ferry to then get 9.45 am bus but our port arrival time is 9 am so unless we dock early i see it as impossible , what are the possibilities of docking early does it ever happen? if not i see the option of us getting the 9,45 ferry and then a taxi(in may no bus service for the 9.45 ferry) , previous port will be in Norway so i don't think we will have to go through customs .

The next ferry with bus connection is 10.30 , the bus would get us to lodge at 11.45 to start hike this would mean getting bus back at 15.50 and if all went as planned we should be back in Stavenger for 17.15 , our departure from Stavenger is 19.00 i think this might be abit stressfull and the worry could spoil the day , so think might be worth paying taxi fare in the morning , any tips from people that have done this? I have heard some people get to pulpit in 1 1/2 hours other take 2 , and some never get there!!!

TIA

We did a cruise in 2016, and I wanted to go to Pulpit Rock, (actually just returned from Norway and Tromso and saw the Northern Lights last month), but the logistics of making all of the connections just seemed daunting, and we decided to skip it.  Norway is a lovely place and now after two visits, I plan at sometime in the future to visit while not on a cruise in the summer.  It was really cold in Tromso, and before that we were in Gothenburg Sweden and it was cold and wet. Stavenger in the summer on a land trip definitely going to the Pulpit Rock. 

JC

14 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

We did a cruise in 2016, and I wanted to go to Pulpit Rock, (actually just returned from Norway and Tromso and saw the Northern Lights last month), but the logistics of making all of the connections just seemed daunting, and we decided to skip it.  Norway is a lovely place and now after two visits, I plan at sometime in the future to visit while not on a cruise in the summer.  It was really cold in Tromso, and before that we were in Gothenburg Sweden and it was cold and wet. Stavenger in the summer on a land trip definitely going to the Pulpit Rock. 

JC

Still waiting on pictures

Ships avoid significant early arrivals in ports of call as this increases docking costs. If they are faster than expected they usually slow down. You might get off in Stavanger at 9 am or a few minutes earlier but this is gambling. When we arrived little early in Stavanger with Independence the gangways in the port were not ready. They are big and heavy and have to be moved with trucks. So we had to wait until planned arrival time.  

Edited by Saab4444

If you are sure you want to do this on your own then a taxi is the best way.  It is approximately 40 KM from Stavanager to Pulpit Rock and a quick taxi estimate would be around $85 to $100 each way.  Plus there are no guarantees that there would be a taxi at Pulpit Rock to take you back.  You may have to wait some time for one.

I did the Pulpit Rock hike through RCI and it was fine.  You go up at tour own pace so you are not travelling in a group.  We arrived at approximately 11:45 and we were given 4 1/2 hours to get to the top and back.  We were told something like this.  "Be back by 4:15 because by 4:30 we will be 15 minutes down the road".  I think your desire to do it on your own is far too risky and or expensive.

As you probably know this is a strenuous hike.  Anyone with back, leg, knee, ankle issues or is not in good shape will probably not make it to the top.  We had quite a few fail to reach Pulpit Rock.  I exercise every day and it was exhausting.  Made it up in 1.5 hours and just over 1.5 hours on the way down.  Stayed about 30 minutes at the top. The way down is in many ways harder than going up as the rocks are slippery and the steps are high and uneven.  Take layers of clothes as you will be down to the base layer after 500 yards.  Plan for enough food and water then double it. I used a walking pole and it was a great help and wear very good hiking shoes. I saw people on the trail in flip flops, open toed sandals etc.  Did not see any of them at the top.  Good luck as it is worth the trip but I would recommend the RCI tour.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

Thanks for all the help , i think the taxi going up would be the only solution and then maybe get the bus down , i will look into the RCI tour but i know when i looked before it said tour goes ahead whatever the weather conditions other than snow , and i'm not sure i want to do a 4 hour hike if its pouring with rain , i do realise at worst scenario we could have to catch up with the ship in the next port , which is Kristiansand which i'm not really bothered about visiting :classic_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

They didn’t offer this tour when we were there on RCI in early June 2016.  

JC

I was on the Vision TA Aug 2018 cruise that started in Copenhagen. The bus was almost full.  Wonderful experience but a lot more strenuous than I expected.