Walk from Santa Margherita to Portofino

T.O.cruisers

We're hoping to take the train from Genoa to Santa Margherita and walk the coastal road to Portofino at the end of May. I've read someplace that the road was closed in places and I'm wondering if anyone has done this walk recently and can confirm if this walk is doable. We plan to take the ferry back from Portofino. Thanks in advance. 

We did this exact route a few years ago and it was a nice day trip.  However I have also seen notes that parts of the road were recently closed.  You might also ask on the Trip Advisor site to se if a local expert can answer with current info.

On 3/7/2019 at 10:59 AM, T.O.cruisers said:

We're hoping to take the train from Genoa to Santa Margherita and walk the coastal road to Portofino at the end of May. I've read someplace that the road was closed in places and I'm wondering if anyone has done this walk recently and can confirm if this walk is doable. We plan to take the ferry back from Portofino. Thanks in advance. 

We did this 2 years ago, so I don't know if the storm damage has been fully repaired yet.

We were initially thinking of doing the walk 1st then ferry back, but as we walked by the ferry one was leaving in a short while so we jumped on that.

We were glad we did, as the winds came up in the afternoon and the ferries were cancelled due to rough seas.

As we were walking back we noticed the buses were jammed packed, and there had been a queue for them as we had started our walk.

Edited by Tranquility Base

17 minutes ago, Travel To Be Free said:

Our cruise lists Santa Margherita as the PORT.  How long is the ferry ride from there to Portofino?

What other things would you combine in the area to make this a 5 hour day?  

Check ferry schedules here:

https://www.apathtolunch.com/2014/07/portofino-ferry-boat-schedules-from.html

I've always found that spending the day in and around Portofino was enough.

4 hours ago, ApolloBeachRetiree said:

I've always found that spending the day in and around Portofino was enough.

We are tendering into Potofino.

I am thinking of taking the ferry westbound along the south coast to San Fruttuoso and then walking back.

Have you used the ferry from Portofino to San Fruttuoso ?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

We are tendering into Potofino.

I am thinking of taking the ferry westbound along the south coast to San Fruttuoso and then walking back.

Have you used the ferry from Portofino to San Fruttuoso ?

Thanks.

I never have but it looks like it would be a fun trip.

indeed following a storm in november the road between portofino and santa margherita has been destroied

since few week it has been reopened for pedestrians only so it's possible to walk from portofino to santa margherita

as far as the boat services between santa margherita / portofino and San fruttuoso are concerned  the official website is the following

http://traghettiportofino.it/

the sailing time between portofino and san fruttoso is abt  30 minutes