Pre-Cruise Venice Hotel

NayaSantaFe

We will be in Venice in June for 3 nights pre-cruise and I have been looking through our hotel options and they are very expensive. The least expensive one I found in Venice was $270 a night! That is ove our budget of $200 to $240 a night at the most...so I have been looking at other options outside of Venice, for example the Best Western Hotel Tritone or the Four Points Venice Mestre which are more in our budget, but seem to be a little far...

My question is, if we decide to stay in a hotel that is not in the main area, how easy and expensive is it to find transportation to Venice? We are trying to figure out if the cost of transportation and convinence is worth staying outside of Venice and saving on hotel stay.

you could stay in a hotel by the Mestre train station.  It's about 10 minute train ride to Venice and costs about 1.5 E.

Same with the local bus.  The bus will drop you in Piazzale Roma ; the train station is across the Grand Canal from P Roma.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-hotels-train-station.htm

(Also, coming from the airport, you could use the ATVO express bus which drops off by the Mestre Train Station, 15 minute ride for about 8E. )

Did you look at apts in Venice?  I've stayed at apts in Venice and really enjoyed having a small kitchen for coffee/bfast, snacks,  drinks, (wine/cheese) . I've never paid more than 200E.

Edited by mapleleaves

24 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

you could stay in a hotel by the Mestre train station.  It's about 10 minute train ride to Venice and costs about 1.5 E.

Same with the local bus.  The bus will drop you in Piazzale Roma ; the train station is across the Grand Canal from P Roma.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-hotels-train-station.htm

(Also, coming from the airport, you could use the ATVO express bus which drops off by the Mestre Train Station, 15 minute ride for about 8E. )

Did you look at apts in Venice?  I've stayed at apts in Venice and really enjoyed having a small kitchen for coffee/bfast, snacks,  drinks, (wine/cheese) . I've never paid more than 200E.

Thanks so much for your reply!

It seems like the Best Western is right across from the train station, so that might be a good candidate. The commite isn't bad at all, so I will deffinitly consider hotels in that area now.

Try looking at this hotel, it might be within your budget. We stayed there Oct. 2018. We were pleased. We took water taxi from airport and it was only 2 min walk from where they dropped us off.

Hotel Al Duca Di Venezia, Venice

Edited by Rsparis

You really don’t want to stay in Mestre.  The beauty of Venice is the ability to spend 3 days wandering on foot or by boat. Its a unique experience.

Ca Angeli is 225 ( +taxes I imagine.). Well worth anything extra over Mestre.  It is on the Grand Canal, minutes walk to Rialto, St. Mark’s Friari and more.  Steps from water taxi stop and 2 minutes from San Silvestro vaporetto stop.   I’m sure you could find other 3*** hotels within a reasonable budget.  We picked Ca Angeli from Trip Advisor.  It was listed at the time as one of the top 5 B&B hotels. We were delighted 

Thank you all for your replies!

Since we are a big group of 12 people I don't get to call all thr shots and saving money over location was a big deal for the rest of the group, so we ended up in Antony Palace Hotel in Marcon. I know this is far from Venice and not where I wanted to end up, but at $110 a night I had to take one for the team.

Looks like they have a shuttle service to Venice that runs during the day, otherwise I am thinking we will have to use the train/bus to get around. 

On 3/8/2019 at 7:33 AM, NayaSantaFe said:

Thank you all for your replies!

Since we are a big group of 12 people I don't get to call all thr shots and saving money over location was a big deal for the rest of the group, so we ended up in Antony Palace Hotel in Marcon. I know this is far from Venice and not where I wanted to end up, but at $110 a night I had to take one for the team.

Looks like they have a shuttle service to Venice that runs during the day, otherwise I am thinking we will have to use the train/bus to get around. 

Hi, Were staying at the same hotel in Sept. We also think this hotel is a good choice.