Brillance, Partical Canal Question

gambler

Please help, I think I understand you can take an excursion from the lake after going thru the locks and hook back with the ship on the other side. My question is, does it have to be an RCCL tour or can you arrange for a private tour? Thanks

gambler, my Brilliance cruise isn't until April,so I haven't actually done this yet. Here is my understanding of it. You can only leave the ship,in Gatun Lake,if you already have a tour scheduled. I booked mine,on line,so it will be with the ship. I'm not sure if anyone other than RCL,even offers tours,at that particular stop.

I strongly recommend taking the dome train car across Panama if they still offer it. The scenery is tremendous, and a great way to see the country. I also recommend reading Path Between the Seas by David McCullough. It is a tremendous retelling of the entire effort to buold the canal (both French and American), and it really enriched my canal cruises.

I agree...didn't go partial on RCL - but I believe you had to book a tour thru the cruise line to get off the ship in Panama. That may not be a cruise rule that may be a local rule.

You go thru the locks on the way in and you will miss the locks on the way out....I don't think that is a big deal since you've already experienced the locks. Take a tour and see some of the country. We spent the day with the Embera Indians - not sure if it's offered thru RCL. That was something! They invited us into their tree homes and cooked for us. Very very interesting and enjoyable experience. Warm, friendly people. After a bus ride we got into hand carved canoes and were taken across the river to an island where they lived.

Hi Gambler, nice to see you again. We met on the Radiance a few years back.

We did this sailing in December and the previous poster is correct. You can only book excursions through RCI. When are you looking at taking this sailing? We will be repeating the itinerary in December for the third time, great trip.

Smooth sailings.

Just did this cruise Jan 2. Watch the in-room TV for the documentary on the building of the canal. I covers the original endeavor by the French and on to the completion of the Canal. Very interesting and really makes you appreciate what an incredible feat of engineering that was.

Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

Thanks everyone for the info. I read on the ports of call board where people were booking privately but that is probably with other cruise lines.

Hi Choosin, we are looking at the 11/20 sailing right now. My sister and BIL are coming with us and they don't want to book anything thru the ship.

gambler, we are booked on the 11/20 Brilliance with another couple. There is a Roll Call started but very inactive.

We did a full canal transit last April and I really enjoyed it but it did get boring after a while. I think the Brilliance offers a great itinerary.

We did the full transit October 2004 from San Diego to Miami on Radiance of the Seas..... Best cruise we have ever had to date, very relaxing (14 days) Canal Transit is only 1 day, very interesting as was the rest of the ports on the cruise.

Would do it again, if we have the time and the price is right.

Jimbo:)

Hi GranysT - I'm so glad you're on the dome car. I think you will really enjoy it. Much better than even just the regular train or bus alternatives. It also sells out quickly. You will have a very comfortable ride and not miss any of the scenery b/c of the dome, even if you are not facing the way the train is travelling. They also serve snacks / drinks on board.

Not sure if you've been before, but reading the McCullough book will really round out our experience. The on-ship lectures are good, but nowhere near as informative as the book, which, despite its 600 pages, is very easy to easy.

The thousands of people that died (especially Jamaicans & Barbadians), the millions of dollars spent, the fact the the canal almost ended up in Nicaragua, the mistakes made by both the French and the Americans - it's like history coming alive.

OK, I will stop now... :)

I thought the canal experience was just incredible. Even though we only did the partial transit. I also recommend the book. It is amazing that something designed that long ago, works as well and as simply as it does. We would like to do the full transit one of these years.....So many cruises to take, so little vacation time:)

Archived