Carnival Cruise to Cuba

caribbeanseadreaming

Hello everyone,

I have cruised many times so I am never apprehensive about booking excursions on my own, but I'm a little worried about doing so in Cuba. We dock at 8, but I have read that customs can take some time to get through. I also read that I can book my own excursion even though the cruise line insists I can't. I would love to do so but I am not trying to get into trouble. Has anyone done a recent Cuba cruise (preferably on Carnival) that has any insight?

You can definitely book your own excursions. It’s truly not as hard as it may seem. We booked our excursions directly through Old Cars Havana. The main rule to follow is that you spend money on businesses that are privately owned and not by the Cuban government. The full list of prohibited businesses is on the US Department of State’s website.

Edited by Tapi

IF you continue reading farther down in this forum you will find reviews of many many different private companies that folks have used to visit Cuba.

It doesn't matter which cruise line you are using ,the rules are all the same!

Take some time to read and then e mail the ones that sound good to you.

I have emailed at least 4 different companies and ended up with Havana Memories .

There are many many good people out there offering tours!!

Cruise lines tell you that so you book there overpriced excursions. In reality you can check anybox on the visa app and just walk off the ship.Private tours are1/3 price of cruise ships and you are not. With 30 people pushing and shoving. Read a few more reviews and you will see. Read some reviews here and you will see how many take private tours

Edited by rvmike

• 2 weeks later...

We booked Carnival Sensation for May that stops in Havana not too long ago.  I checked the price of the classic car tour  Carnival offered - it was around $145 pp, and was sold out.  Did research on Tripadvisor, and booked the same classic car/walking tour with Cubaoutings for $160 total for 3 people!  Cubaoutings emailed me back within the hour with details, answered all my questions, etc.  We communicated back and forth (they always answered within hours!) and I am very much looking forward to a great tour with them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribbeanseadreaming said:

I would love to hear about it after you get back! After a few reviews I've read I'm a little worried about how long it will take to get off the ship in Cuba, so I'm not sure what time to book for. 

We were told to meet across the street (where our guide will be holding a sign with our name on it) by the fountain at 9 a.m.   Cubaoutings said they would wait if we got there later.  Knowing us, we will plan to leave the ship at around 7:45.  Should give us plenty of time to get through immigration, money exchange, etc.  I will let you know how it went when we get back in May.