Large groups onboard

machotspur

On 3/16/2019 at 1:40 AM, machotspur said:

Purely by luck we have identified that there will be a large organised group of at least 70 people on the ship. I suspect there is every chance this could increase.

Hi

We are booked on our first Regent cruise for next Jan/Feb in the Caribbean and the talk of groups has spooked me!! We booked in May 2018 for a 2020 cruise and would hate to have it ruined. Hope it is not a silly question but how did you find out that there were groups on your cruise? What resources did you use.

Please share

Thank you

1 hour ago, Qld13 said:

We are booked on our first Regent cruise for next Jan/Feb in the Caribbean and the talk of groups has spooked me!! We booked in May 2018 for a 2020 cruise and would hate to have it ruined. Hope it is not a silly question but how did you find out that there were groups on your cruise? What resources did you use.

Not a silly question at all, but unfortunately i'm not able to offer a very intelligent answer. As I may have said, it was sheer luck.

My wife entered into Google the name of the cruise itinerary I believe - something like Cruise Regent Cape Town to Cape Town  - and up popped the agents website for the group tour !

If you booked through a TA it may be possible to get them to ask the question of Regent for your cruise.

I've been quite shocked by the number of reports of the presence of groups on this thread, however we've taken a dozen or more cruises and have never encountered a group.

We did our first Regent (back to back) cruises a couple of years ago - 18 days in the Caribbean -  and there was no groups evident then.  

Good luck !

For us, about 10 Regent cruises, only one group (70-100 people, as I recall).  In fact, I think it was our first Regent cruise that had the group on board.  They got a bit loud sometimes and clomped around the pool deck till the wee hours, but other than that it wasn't too bad.  If we hadn't upgraded to a suite right below the pool deck, we probably wouldn't have even noticed them.

Of all the cruises on all the lines in all the world they just had to pick one that we have booked......

I assume this is the December 8 2020 sailing on Voyager. I had a quick search bit could not find the agent posting. I know we cannot name names on here but if the OP could give me a hint on what type of group they found it would be most appreciated. Seventy or 10% of the passenger numbers doesn't sound too bad but just suppose they were Morris Dancers, or Yodellers or worse!!!

Joking aside since we booked on board our last cruise we have one 'free' switch as part of that booking so any hints would be appreciated. Unfortunately swapping to the later cruise over Xmas is not an option for us and we really like the itinerary.

29 minutes ago, John182 said:

I assume this is the December 8 2020 sailing on Voyager. I had a quick search bit could not find the agent posting. I know we cannot name names on here but if the OP could give me a hint on what type of group they found it would be most appreciated. Seventy or 10% of the passenger numbers doesn't sound too bad but just suppose they were Morris Dancers, or Yodellers or worse!!!

Hi John

Yep - December 8th 2020 !

If you Google - regent seven seas voyager cape town december 2020 -  the agent site for the group can be found no more than a handful of pages in. Do look carefully though as the website address is not one that initially looks to be for a group tour.

If you find the website you will be able to see the type of group, which in fairness in this instance they are likely to be decent people - don't be misled by the larger groups on their website operating on larger ships.

You may well be OK - a lot of it is down to ones attitude to risk - this is after all not an inexpensive trip - and indeed how you feel about areas of the ship being commandeered for a group. 

The issue that swung it for me was the sentence from Regent that stated the group would be bringing on board their own DJ, and will be holding various events in public areas and some dining rooms.  

Good luck, whatever decision you take.    

I've researched the trip, the group and spoken with Regent representatives about it.  We and our friends have decided to continue with the trip.  OK, so this is an ethnic group - that does not present a challenge for us.  From the group website, the prices are the same as what we are paying.  So, it is not discounted.  And it is not an "incentive" group.  I expect that anybody that can afford this cruise will be the type of folks that I've come to expect on Regent.  The group is only about 70 people.  They will not take over the ship.  In my discussions with Regent, I've been assured that while the group may have their DJ/music playing in one venue in the evening (the others will still be open) it will still be open to all.  Any events will not be to the exclusion of others. No dining areas will be closed to anyone. They do this regularly and they do it on other luxury lines as well.  I was told Regent has not received complaints in the past about the group.  The group also  has an annual charter (non-luxury) in the Caribbean where they do take over the ship and I might not wish to be on that cruise but that is mostly because of the line used.  

Personally, I think there is a good chance that we will enjoy the music played by the DJ and we plan to check it out.  It might actually be a refreshing change.  Some of the artists they play are very good (in my opinion).  My friends agree and we look forward to the cruise.  I can understand others being wary but I'm confident that this will be a great cruise and in the style  I expect from Regent.

Just my opinion.

Best,

John

Thanks very much to both machotspur and Johnthesailor for your replies. I think that we are more than happy to continue with the booking. If we do decide to swap to another cruise it will most likely be for very different reasons - i.e. DW finds one that is not so far in the future and which can replace my lovingly planned trip to the Himalayas for one last time (she has never been but has been looking up Tea House accommodations which in the more remote areas are about as far away from Regent luxury as is possible). 

Last summer we were onboard the Explorer when there was a large group of about 70 traveling together...I believe they may have all been from the same company or workplace.  They were well mannered, well dressed and very pleasant indeed.  My only caveat is that on the first night, as my husband and I were dining in Chartreuse, we were unfortunately seated adjacent to the area where they were all eating together (at large round tables).  The issue was that they weren't doing much sitting at their tables but instead were standing and walking around for much of the meal, table hopping amongst themselves and sharing wine and making toasts.  Not only was it not a relaxing dining experience, but our service suffered as a result.  Fortunately that was the first night of the cruise and we were able to specifically request going forward not to be seated near the group. 

Edited by morneau

On 4/3/2019 at 4:47 AM, John182 said:

Thanks very much to both machotspur and Johnthesailor for your replies. I think that we are more than happy to continue with the booking. If we do decide to swap to another cruise it will most likely be for very different reasons - i.e. DW finds one that is not so far in the future and which can replace my lovingly planned trip to the Himalayas for one last time (she has never been but has been looking up Tea House accommodations which in the more remote areas are about as far away from Regent luxury as is possible). 

We are also booked on this cruise including the 3-day pre cruise wine tasting and game drive. I finally found the web site for the group and now know what the situation will be.  No problem for us to join with them. Not an option for us to switch to another cruise as we are booked on the Azamara Journey for their Christmas cruise which starts in Cape Town the day the Voyager finishes their cruise.

John182 & Johnthesailor - please post on the roll call for this 8th December 2020 cruise so we can keep in touch. We can make our own 'small' group. lol

Jeanette