Ft. Lauderdale Excursion & Airport Question

halfapair

My husband and I will be taking a cruise from the Ft. Lauderdale cruise terminal. We have never flown into or out of Ft. Lauderdale, so we have no experience with the airport there.

Our flight home doesn't depart until later in the afternoon, so I thought we could take an excursion that came with an airport transfer. The excursion I would prefer to take is 5 hours (9am-2pm), but now our flight is at 3:35pm which would only give us about 90 minutes to check in at the airport and get to our gate. We have TSA Pre-check, so security lines aren't usually a problem.

Is this a reasonable idea? Or should we take a shorter excursion, or do something on our own?

You should be OK.  Look into the EZ check program to handle your luggage to save time at the airport.  The program, if your airline participates, will be picked up the night before debarking and the next time you see it will be at your home airport.  Also they will issue you a boarding pass. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Potstech said:

You should be OK.  Look into the EZ check program to handle your luggage to save time at the airport.  The program, if your airline participates, will be picked up the night before debarking and the next time you see it will be at your home airport.  Also they will issue you a boarding pass. 

We did not book our flight using Princess EZ Air. I booked our flights independently...will we still be able to use the EZ Check Program? I have never heard of that - but would love to use it!

38 minutes ago, halfapair said:

We did not book our flight using Princess EZ Air. I booked our flights independently...will we still be able to use the EZ Check Program? I have never heard of that - but would love to use it!

EZ check is different than EZ air. For $25 per person when your bags are taken the last night of the cruise you won't see them again until you get to your home airport. Also, the service includes checking you in for your flight.

• Thanks 1

I would definitely do something if your flight is later. The last time we arrived early at the FLL airport we discovered the outer lobby was filled with people sitting on the floor, the stairs, and the planters. We had thought we could just check in and then hang out in the airport, have a drink, etc. Nope. We - and a huge number of other people - were forced to stay out in the entrance portion of the airport for hours. Never again. It was totally miserable.

• Like 1