Apple watch 3 and wifi on Allure of the Seas

Has anyone had  any experience with using their Apple 3  watch on walkie talkie feature in communicating on board to other cruises connected on this feature when using the ships wifi.

I wear my watch to track walking and exercising and use the feature to text to my DH.

The reason I am asking is this way we do not have to lugg our phones around and can leave them locked up.

When we were in Disney I left my phone in the safe in room, and received my texts miles away in the parks, it seems Disneys wifi is very very strong signal.

Thanks 

I don't have experience with this, but I don't think you'll be able to make it work.  When you join the wifi, you are taken to a login page (browser page).  I don't know how this would work on the watch?

1 hour ago, schmeed said:

I don't have experience with this, but I don't think you'll be able to make it work.  When you join the wifi, you are taken to a login page (browser page).  I don't know how this would work on the watch?

It should work fine if the watch is still paired with the phone as the phone can supply the login info to Royal's WiFI.

I have no idea it would work if the watch is not paired to the phone.

I have an Apple watch 3 and have recently been on Oasis and at Disney. 

What you are asking will not work on the ship. It works at Disney because their guest network is open to any devices that connect. Royal, on the other hand, uses a web portal to register devices before they are allowed to connect. Your phone has a different MAC address from your watch so while it can share a wifi connection with the phone (if in range) because it's doesn't directly connect to the wifi, as soon as your watch is on its own Royal sees it as a unique device that didn't pay for Voom. With no built in web browser there is no way to register it either. 

Edited by orlandok

4 hours ago, orlandok said:

I have an Apple watch 3 and have recently been on Oasis and at Disney. 

What you are asking will not work on the ship. It works at Disney because their guest network is open to any devices that connect. Royal, on the other hand, uses a web portal to register devices before they are allowed to connect. Your phone has a different MAC address from your watch so while it can share a wifi connection with the phone (if in range) because it's doesn't directly connect to the wifi, as soon as your watch is on its own Royal sees it as a unique device that didn't pay for Voom. With no built in web browser there is no way to register it either. 

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge.  It is greatly appreciated.

I knew it was too good to be true.

Oh well get to lugg the phone around.

Safe travels.

I had heard that it might be possible to have the watches MAC address whitelisted so as to bypass the login.com process.

I tried on liberty of the seas and had actually purchased a voom device just for the watch but I was told it is not possible,

I ended up getting the Voom credited back.

Edited by proggieus

3 hours ago, ash2bear said:

Don't know about walkie talkie mode, but I was able to receive texts and phone calls on my watch with the phone in the safe.  I was on Anthem.

Appreciate your text.

That sounds great.

Still gotta find away to get out of lugging the phone and finding the DH.

Or better yet him finding me

Safe travels.