Cruise Critic Community
jjwells

Sugar beach break

We are arriving via cruise next week.  I have booked an excursion through Spencer Ambrose for the Sugar Beach Break (a boat ride to sugar beach and spending the day on the beach).  We love to snorkel and this location seems amazing.  I have now read some reviews about maintenance issues with this company.  So far my communication with them has been very, very good.  I have also read a lot of positive reviews and understand that occasionally unpleasant experience will happen with every company.  Does anyone have a recent experience with this company?  I am hoping the mechanical difficulties have been resolved. 

Posted (edited)

No recent experience, but we've toured with Spencer Ambrose twice now (May 2013 and again in Sep. 2015).  The Sugar Beach Break was the first one we did and the second was the Land, Sea, and Beach to see more of St. Lucia.  I have seen some of these recent reviews and I still plan on booking with them again next time we get back to St. Lucia (will be Sugar Beach Break again).  All I can say is both of his tours have been our all time favorites while on a cruise and we've really enjoyed Spencer and his whole crew.  We never felt like "just a tour group" with them.  But yes, things can/do happen, boats can have issues at times, just like our vehicles.  That said, I don't think that is the norm.  Each time we were on his tours, those boats have been clean and look to be very well taken care of.  They have more than one boat too.  When we've been picked up at the cruise center for our tours, he's had a least two and I believe there was a third the first time we toured with them. 

As for the snorkeling, Sugar Beach has been the best out of all the places we've snorkeled (I've heard Curacao, Bonnaire, Roatan,  & Belize have great snorkeling, but we've never had an opportunity to snorkel at any of them).  Even the coral at Sugar Beach...so colorful!  What I loved about the "beach break" is that there is PLENTY of time to snorkel and also just kick back and take in the beautiful scenery.  It was a nice, relaxing day and we never felt rushed. 

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thank you!  That makes me feel so much better.  Like I said, his communication thus far has been fantastic.  I look forward to a great excursion and being able to write a glowing review when we return.  Thanks again for your time!

14 hours ago, jjwells said:

Thank you!  That makes me feel so much better.  Like I said, his communication thus far has been fantastic.  I look forward to a great excursion and being able to write a glowing review when we return.  Thanks again for your time!

Just did this tour last November - perfect, Also went Nov 2017 and it was great. Am going to Sugar with Spencer & his daughter this November as well!  Excellent choice!

On 3/22/2019 at 7:01 PM, jjwells said:

I am looking forward to your review.  We have the same booked for June!  Hope you enjoyed.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:01 PM, jjwells said:

My BF and I just did that excursion with Spencer a few days ago. It was a wonderful experience and I love snorkeling at Sugar Beach. Spencer himself piloted the boat we were on and he did have to stop briefly a few times to manually add oil to one of the engines but it did not negatively effect us in any way.  If I’m ever back in beautiful St. Lucia I wouldn’t hesitate to use him again.