Book cruise with maiden name, got married, can i change My last name?

Kgarsick

Hi everyone. I have a quick question.

We booked our ncl cruise before we got Married, so with my maiden name. I would Like to legally change my name before the cruise (in September). Will I be able to do this? Should i just Keep my maiden name until after the cruise? I guess That’s more than one question. Thank you guys! Have a great day! 

Are passports needed for the cruise? If so you would need to go about changing that as well to match your new name.

"Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to the above cancellation fees." from their site. although if you are not past final payment it may not change much?

PS congratulations!

Edited by Takoyaki

53 minutes ago, Takoyaki said:

Are passports needed for the cruise? If so you would need to go about changing that as well to match your new name.

"Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to the above cancellation fees." from their site. although if you are not past final payment it may not change much?

PS congratulations!

I'm pretty sure that by "name changes" here NCL means changing passengers, not a legal name change by the person already booked (but if that were ever an issue, I'd call NCL first to confirm). 

Edited by Turtles06

1 hour ago, Kgarsick said:

Hi everyone. I have a quick question.

We booked our ncl cruise before we got Married, so with my maiden name. I would Like to legally change my name before the cruise (in September). Will I be able to do this? Should i just Keep my maiden name until after the cruise? I guess That’s more than one question. Thank you guys! Have a great day! 

Congrats! I believe the passport thing is the most important. Whatever your main ID required by the cruise line (passport or drivers license) is, that's the name you will need to use on your booking. If you change your name and your ID is changed, just call NCL to update for their records and during online checking use your new name with the ID# reflecting that name.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

I'm pretty sure that by "name changes" here NCL means changing passengers, not a legal name change by the person already booked (but if that were ever an issue, I'd call NCL first to confirm). 

I totally though that until I read "Additionally, spelling corrections may be considered cancellations." they seem out to make it inconvenient.

Calling is probably the best bet though

4 minutes ago, Takoyaki said:

I totally though that until I read "Additionally, spelling corrections may be considered cancellations." they seem out to make it inconvenient.

Calling is probably the best bet though

Didn't realize it says that too.  That's ridiculous, though note the word is "may" not "shall," which gives them discretion.  I still think they are trying to protect themselves from passengers swaps.  It's hard to believe that if there's a typo in the original passenger's name, that fixing it would be considered a cancellation.   But again, best to call (and get it in writing!).

My wife and I got married 3 years ago. Her passport is good for another 4 years and is under her maiden name. When travelling we still book everything under her maiden name because that is what's on her passport. We could pay to renew her passport early under her married name, but why bother?

Depends totally on the identity documents you are using for boarding.  If it is a passport then leave it so they match, using a BC you would probably want to change it since your drivers license will by then have your married name.

Also keep in mind that if you do call to change your name, they will most likely ask for a copy of your marriage license showing the name change.  But I agree with everyone else that if your passport (or ID) your reservation, leave it.  My passport was expiring i think 5 days after we got married, so I waited to renew until I had my marriage license and everything in order. 

When I got married, it was suggested to me to leave my maiden name on some form of government issued ID.  Makes things alot easier. I had just received my new DL with my maiden and married name, when my mom passed, and it saved alot of headache as far as proving WHO I was.  She had me listed as beneficiary, but hadn't yet updated HER stuff to my married name, because it was so soon after we got married. Also, any cc in my maiden name, I didnt have to replace (for a fee of course), because my name was still showing.  

Only telling you as an example of why it is a good idea.  My passport is my married name, and my DL is maiden and married.

Good Luck, Have Fun and Congratulations!