Miami/FLL flights after cruise

bthodges

We are on symphony in December and the ship is scheduled to come back at 6am on a Saturday. We will be doing the self walk off disembark option. What would be the earliest flights you would choose at either Miami or fll airports. 

10AM is the earliest "safe" time in this scenario.  But preferably 11AM.  Really depends on the options you have available.

Disembark on the Oasis class has always been great and I've always walked off at 6:45 which is after the line is all gone... so we just walk right off, right out the door, and hop in the car.  It's fantastic.

I'd take 10AM at either airport if disembarking early.

Basically, if you are off the ship around 7 and grab a cab by 7:30, you would be at FLL by 8:00 - 8:15 and Miami by 7:45 - 8.  Which is more than enough time for a 10AM flight.  And you will probably be out earlier if you line up and make an effort to be off earlier.

11AM or later gives you more buffer.  But 10AM is a very realistic and doable time.  It's rare ships disembark later than scheduled as all the crews, staff etc are scheduled, customs officers scheduled, etc.

I would basically say nothing before 10AM, and take the best flight you can find with that in mind.  Unless you find an even earlier flight that is an absolute killer time/price and is worth some extra stress, like a 9:15 - 9:30.  But I'd shoot for 10AM+

Edited by BNBR

Personally, I would NEVER book a 10 am flight out of FLL when disembarking a ship in Miami as you are.  It's just way to early given the distance and potential for issues.

10 am out of MIA is okay. 

I live overlooking the Port of Miami and fly frequently out of MIA cruise and fly fairly frequently out of Fort Lauderdale.  Things happen.  I've had delayed disembarkations on more than one cruise and have hit traffic in the early morning hours on 95 even on the weekends.

Are there not later flights that you can take? Do you have TSA pre-check?  Flying internationally or domestically?  

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

From POM on a Saturday I would be comfortable with MIA flights at 10-10:30 and FLL flights after about 11:00+. You can try earlier flightd, but do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home?

Please know that the extra time to get to FLL vs MIA is about 15 - 20 minutes.  It's nothing to be concerned with.  PortMiami connects to the highway via tunnel that takes you directly to FLL.  It's a VERY fast drive with totally non-existent early weekend traffic.  I live further from the FLL airport and we have never been home later than 8AM and that's with ships that didn't even disembark until after 7AM.  Symphony disembarks even earlier.

You would be perfectly fine taking a 10AM or so flight.  Don't stress it.