New to disabled cruising

Sean401

I have been on 10 cruises. On the last cruise I needed a cane but otherwise was quite mobile. Since then I have had a partial spinal cord injury and I need a walker to walk. To shower the OH helps give me support.

Im wondering how my new disability will affect my ability to cruise. My favorite cruises are beach related ones during our cold winters. Is it really possible to visit a beach when you need a walker? Is there some substitute that is close. 

I found a walker to not work on beaches.youd have to specially adapt the legs with flat surfaces, but the mere act of trudging through sand was a no go for me.  They do make WC beach accessible.. the big huge giant tires.  You often see them on the private islands right where the ferries/ tenders dock.  

I would definitely look at the cruise line private islands.    They are mostly accessible and typically have the beach wheelchairs.     Here is an on-line guide to private island accessibility but double-check with the cruise line to verify what the website says:

http://www.wheeliegoodcruises.com.au/cruise-ship-private-islands-must-visit/

Royal Caribbean calls their cruises that stop at their private island (Coco Cay) Perfect Day cruises.  

Holland America has some cruises that stop at two private islands (Half Moon Cay and Amber Cove) on the same cruise.