Bermuda dinner options

wild1apache

I’m traveling in May 2019 with 3 senior citizens on Grandeur of the Seas. We arrive in Bermuda in the afternoon and leave basically 24 hours later. My plan was to take a water taxi to Hamilton and we will walk around and then eat dinner in Hamilton taking a taxi back to the ship. Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice restaurant with a water view? I’d appreciate  any suggestions.

I’m traveling in May 2019 with 3 senior citizens on Grandeur of the Seas. We arrive in Bermuda in the afternoon and leave basically 24 hours later. My plan was to take a water taxi to Hamilton and we will walk around and then eat dinner in Hamilton taking a taxi back to the ship. Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice restaurant with a water view? I’d appreciate  any suggestions.

You mean take the public ferry to Hamilton. There are no water taxis. The Hamilton Princess has a couple of nice restaurants with a water view.

I would recommend the Hamilton Princess.  We always eat at least one meal at Marcus Samuelsson's restaurant which is located in that hotel.

The hotel is not too far of a walk from the dock where the ferry will disembark.  Walk off the pier to the main road, turn to your left and walk about 300 yards (more or less).  Not too bad of a walk and it is pretty much flat.

Restaurants web site is:   https://www.thehamiltonprincess.com/dining/marcus/

Lunch requires no reservations but dinner may.

Restaurant has a 180 degree view of the ocean and the grounds are impeccably maintained.

Probably can use the ferry to return to the ship.  Taxi will cost $50 per hour.  Rate is set by the government. 

Last year the ticket office did not take credit cards......only cash.  Will be there in two weeks and can update when we return or someone who has been the recently might be able to give an update.

BTW....Marcus's life is quite a read....from his adoption to his rise to a top chief.

Probably can use the ferry to return to the ship.  Taxi will cost $50 per hour.  Rate is set by the government.  Last year the ticket office did not take credit cards......only cash.  Will be there in two weeks and can update when we return or someone who has been the recently might be able to give an update. 

You will be one of the first to visit by cruise since last year so any updates will be appreciated.  

If they are there on a weekday they may be able to take the ferry back. Some Grandeur sailings are on the weekend and the ferry stops running early on the weekend. Taxi fare from Hamilton to the Dockyard for 1-4 would be about $50 but that happens to be regulated rate for point to point between those locations, the non tour rate is not by the hour. The non tour rate is metered by distance. When you consider that there will be 4 sharing the $50, that fare does not look so bad.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of doing exactly what OP mentioned- we arrive at 4 pm on a Monday and leave at 4 pm the next day. I'm traveling with my parents and would love to take them for a nice dinner at a restaurant with water/sunset views. Grab the first available ferry over to Hamilton, spend a little time in town then go to one of the restaurants at Hamilton Princess. My concern is the return trip to the Dockyard- if we had dinner at 6, it won't leave much time to explore Hamilton first, but we should be able to make the last return ferry at 9. If we dine at 7 or even 8, that would allow us more time in Hamilton, but we miss the 9 pm ferry back. What would our return options be if we miss the ferry back, is a taxi our only option at that point?

12 minutes ago, Carolina Girl 99 said:

I'm thinking of doing exactly what OP mentioned- we arrive at 4 pm on a Monday and leave at 4 pm the next day. I'm traveling with my parents and would love to take them for a nice dinner at a restaurant with water/sunset views. Grab the first available ferry over to Hamilton, spend a little time in town then go to one of the restaurants at Hamilton Princess. My concern is the return trip to the Dockyard- if we had dinner at 6, it won't leave much time to explore Hamilton first, but we should be able to make the last return ferry at 9. If we dine at 7 or even 8, that would allow us more time in Hamilton, but we miss the 9 pm ferry back. What would our return options be if we miss the ferry back, is a taxi our only option at that point?

The #8 bus has runs scheduled to depart Hamilton at 9:30 10:30 and 11:35 pm. The trip would take about an hour. Here's the schedule https://www.gov.bm/sites/default/files/9995_Bus_Schedule_color_poster-portal-revised-final.pdf . 

PS: Look at the ferry schedule closely. If your ship arrives at 4 you the earliest ferry you could take to Hamilton departs at 5:45 and doesn't arrive in Hamilton until 6:15, so a 6 pm dinner isn't possible. http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer Ferry Schedule 2019.pdf

Edited by njhorseman

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The #8 bus has runs scheduled to depart Hamilton at 9:30 10:30 and 11:35 pm. The trip would take about an hour. Here's the schedule https://www.gov.bm/sites/default/files/9995_Bus_Schedule_color_poster-portal-revised-final.pdf . 

AH, thank you so much! I think I'm on research overload with this being our first time to Bermuda , and I've spent some time looking at transportation for things we want to do, but totally missed the evening bus schedule. I guess for some reason I thought the busses stopped around 7 pm or so

Edited by Carolina Girl 99

4 minutes ago, Carolina Girl 99 said:

AH, thank you so much! I think I'm on research overload with this being our first time to Bermuda , and I've spent some time looking at transportation for things we want to do, but totally missed the evening bus schedule. I guess for some reason I thought the busses stopped around 7 pm or so

Please check my edited post. You can't get to Hamilton by ferry for a 6 pm dinner.

26 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Please check my edited post. You can't get to Hamilton by ferry for a 6 pm dinner.

Thanks for the additional info! 6 is actually quite a bit earlier than we normally like to dine, I only mentioned that time as I knew we could make the 9 pm ferry with that option. 

But now that I know we can't get to Hamilton much before 6, it might make more sense just to spend the first evening at the dockyard and dine there instead. We could then ferry to Hamilton early the next morning, spend a little time there and do the beach(es) on the way back to the ship