Question on VISAs

mrstmaxx

Hi - we are thinking of doing the World  Cruise in 2023 and am wondering if anyone has cruised to Sri Lanka & Oman.  In doing some research it looks like for Sri Lanka you need to apply for the VISA only 90 days before you need it. this may be a problem because of the timing of when we leave and when we get to Sri Lanka. Also, for Oman, it says you can only get it 1 month before - again there will be a timing issue.  I will certainly ask my Travel agent about this and I've used a company for VISAs and Passports so I'll contact them but just wondering if anyone had cruised to these places and what you did regarding the VISA as I think it's good to have first hand experience.   Thank you.

9 hours ago, mrstmaxx said:

Hi - we are thinking of doing the World  Cruise in 2023 and am wondering if anyone has cruised to Sri Lanka & Oman.  In doing some research it looks like for Sri Lanka you need to apply for the VISA only 90 days before you need it. this may be a problem because of the timing of when we leave and when we get to Sri Lanka. Also, for Oman, it says you can only get it 1 month before - again there will be a timing issue.  I will certainly ask my Travel agent about this and I've used a company for VISAs and Passports so I'll contact them but just wondering if anyone had cruised to these places and what you did regarding the VISA as I think it's good to have first hand experience.   Thank you.

Can't answer about Sri Lanka, but when we were on another cruise line that stopped in Oman there was no visa required pre-cruise. If any visa was required on arrival (and I do not know if one was), the cruise line took care of it at no cost to passengers.

55 minutes ago, caribill said:

Can't answer about Sri Lanka, but when we were on another cruise line that stopped in Oman there was no visa required pre-cruise. If any visa was required on arrival (and I do not know if one was), the cruise line took care of it at no cost to passengers.

Same experience.  We were on a P & O ship that stopped in both Salalah and Muscat.  No visa was required prior to sailing.  We did not get off the ship in Salalah.  In Muscat we were handed a small tourist card which we carried and tossed into a box on return to the ship.  It was all very casual; the number on the card was not recorded.  When our passports were returned to us at the end of the cruise in Dubai, there were entrance and exit stamps for both Omani  ports. 

Thank you so much for all the info.  Really appreciate this.  We've never really traveled internationally - except for Mexico and when we went through the Panama Canal - so I'm nervous about VISAs because i've read where people can't even board at the beginning if they don't have a VISA.  This has been very helpful.