Da Nang to Hoi An for a few hours

rols

We want to visit Hoi An for a few hours when we're in Da Nang in 3 weeks. We actually wanted to do a 'make a lantern' workshop because it's a couple of hours, seems like fun. Has anyone any recent experience of getting to Hoi An from the port and back again? I searched to find a thread from two years ago which wasn't encouraging, taxi touts, scummy operators etc. Getting to Hoi An we're not that concerned about, should be able to pick up a taxi for the going $20 rate, it's always coming back when the taxis know you need to go that it can get a bit painful. If we can find a recommended company who will pick us up, drop us in Hoi An, then collect us a few hours later after lanterns and a quick sight-sea, and that we can organise in advance, we'd be a bit happier. The ship's on-your-own tour is 7 hours and that is probably rather too long in Hoi An. 

On Ovation in December Seabourn actually operated an hourly shuttle bus to Hoi An from Da Nang port.

However, I can't say if this is a regular occurrence. We arrived late into Da Nang due to storm dodging and I know that Destination Services had to rearrange/cancel a lot of pre-booked excursions so perhaps they arranged the bus as a goodwill gesture to guests who'd had their plans messed up. 

We were there in March 2014 on Sojourn and I don't remember that there was a shuttle bus. We'd booked an excursion to Hoi An so it's possible that the information didn't register for me because I didn't need to know it. I can check old Heralds but a better option would be if someone who has been on Ovation recently - not the Holiday cruise -can answer this question. 

Isklaar you have been a fount of knowledge for this cruise. What we'll do then is look for some reputable companies we can use but ask when we get on what they are intending to run in Hoi An. Will be a bit surprised if they run a bus that far for free as they sell the day trip but would be nice if they did. 

Two weeks to go. Now we're just waiting on our suite assignment. Hope for the best, prepare for the half-balcony is our motto! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rols said:

Two weeks to go. Now we're just waiting on our suite assignment. Hope for the best, prepare for the half-balcony is our motto! 

Rols, I like your style 😀😉

2 hours ago, SKP946 said:

Rols, I like your style 😀😉

well let's see if my attitude persists if we do actually get allocated the broom closet! This cruise was so well priced when we booked it that picking any of the available suites would have added 40% or more to the cost and so we decided to wing it. I think we've traveled Seabourn enough now to enjoy the ship even if we don't get upgraded to the penthouse. 

1 hour ago, rols said:

well let's see if my attitude persists if we do actually get allocated the broom closet! This cruise was so well priced when we booked it that picking any of the available suites would have added 40% or more to the cost and so we decided to wing it. I think we've traveled Seabourn enough now to enjoy the ship even if we don't get upgraded to the penthouse. 

Even if you only scored a V1 at 245sq. Ft. (Plus veranda) those suites are still as large (if not larger) than a standard cabin on Viking; whose prices seem about the same as Seabourn (I’m reluctant to add the flippant remark that you might score a 🚁 ride to shore on Viking)🙄🤭

We had a couple on our Antarctica Cruise who had never sailed Seabourn, booked OB and ended up in a Penthouse; unfortuately for him he suffered terribly with seasickness; #1016 on Deck 10 forward was not the place for him when we crossed the Drake in Force 9+🙄

We’ve been to Da Nang several times on cruises and each time we’ve caught a return taxi from the dock to Hoi An. If you know the address for the lantern activity, they’ll probably be able to take you there and pick you up at a specified time (include time for. Wander around). Should cost USD20-30 for 2 pax for a few hours but add say another 5-10 for the driver’s lunch. I assume it’ll cost more if you want 5+ hours. If you travel with say another couple, you’ll need a larger vehicle and the cost will be higher but overall it’s still a very cheap option for Hoi An, which is 45 mins drive away.

The driver will want to take you to Marble Mountain (kick back from the retailer) but the shops at ground level are interesting, you don’t have to buy, and it’s well worth taking the elevator up the mountain (very cheap) and having a wander around. You could just have a quick walk around from the elevator and take in the views and statuary for 5-10 minutes or give it an hour or more and follow the path - it’s pretty good.

Hoi An is a quite special place, IMHO, to wander around. There are a few pedestrian streets that run parallel to the river worth walking around - interesting shops (although some repetition); wonderful restaurants - great food and very cheap by Australian standards; various temples; a market and just a certain atmosphere. Cooking sessions are popular there, which is an alternative activity but you don’t have time for custom made clothes - on a land based trip we found you need several fittings to get it right.

Whatever you do, I’m sure you’ll leaving having thoroughly enjoyed Hoi An.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2019 at 9:34 PM, rols said:

Isklaar you have been a fount of knowledge for this cruise. What we'll do then is look for some reputable companies we can use but ask when we get on what they are intending to run in Hoi An. Will be a bit surprised if they run a bus that far for free as they sell the day trip but would be nice if they did. 

Hi Rols, I've just found my Herald from 19th March 2014 (which seems more like 2 years ago than 5!) when we were in Da Nang previously. 

There was a shuttle bus to downtown Da Nang but not to Hoi An, so it does seem that the bus to Hoi An on the Holiday cruise was a goodwill gesture on Seabourn's behalf as I suspected. 

Good luck with your suite assignment, should be through any time now! 

Hoi An is definitely a special place, a real feel of old Vitnam with an amazing history. We always use a private, reliable well established Viet' company for tours when visiting Vietnam  Always happy to oblige and now as we get more wrinkly happy to do 3 or 4 hour adventures for us including authentic local food experiences. Hue from Danang is another interesting destination.

10 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Good luck with your suite assignment, should be through any time now! 

I do check every couple of days. I assume it'll show up on the front page of the booking where you get the "11 days until departure" display. 

Just got a bizarre email via the TA yesterday, via, not from,  I think it originated at Seabourn's Asia rep company which is in Malaysia. Distilled it says "we know Singaporeans are visa free in Cambodia, Vietnam and China however we recommend getting visas for Cambodia, Vietnam and China because visa rules are complicated and you may be denied entry or fined". That caused a flurry of excitement especially as it contradicts Seabourn's own document, which is pretty clear,  plus experiences here and also our TA's recent experience with Singaporean travellers on other lines. So we're continuing to take the advice that visa free means what it says on the tin. I really didn't appreciate the late panic though. 

• Like 1