Newbie quesion (I can hear the laughing already...)

cftgyhujik

I only cruised once before, long ago, not on MSC. Please excuse my ignorance.

Are there water fountains on the ship? It looks like you can't bring water on. Can you bring an empty water bottle? And then fill it up at the water fountain?

We were all newbies once, without a clue of what to expect onboard a cruise ship, so no-one should be laughing at anyone for posing a question about how things are done on a ship.

Water, tea and coffee is available 24/7 in the buffet.  People filling bottles from the water dispenser is frowned upon by other cruisers for hygienic reasons.  Perhaps it would be better to fill one or two of the provided mugs with water and fill a water bottle in your cabin that way.  Also, the water from the tap in your cabin is potable, too.

No, there's no water fountains, such as you'd find at a school or amusement park. 

There's water, etc available 24/7 in the buffet. You can fill a glass, then pour in your water bottle. Any open bar will give you a glass or two of water also, to fill your water bottle, or just to drink, IME.

It's a hygiene thing - please don't fill your bottle directly from the spout in the buffet , etc. Cross contamination is a real thing. Just fill a glass and pour away, as many as you like, 24/7 .  Theoretically the tap water in your bathroom is perfectly fine too - works in a pinch. Or ask your room steward to keep your ice bucket full, and pour off the melted ice as cold water in your container.  

Edited by reedprincess

The water provided in the buffet comes from the same source as the water that comes from the taps in your cabin (and the bars which may provide water - though I've never personally come across that) so, it's not theoretical that the tap water is fine, too - it's fact.