1st cruise - Alaska ship/suite questions

lightink2

Hello,
I've been going through all the posts & they've helped me round down what I'm looking for so it's down to a few questions, for now.  We are a family of 3 (parents are in 50's & 60's, teenage boy is 16).  We will fly from Boston to Anchorage in August 2020 (we could go in June or July, also).  Probably a 4-day land tour in Denali to see wildlife (I understand there's no guarantee!).  Then cruise for 7 nights to Vancouver.  I want to see Glacier Bay.
I've seen that Princess & Holland are probably most recommended for us.  Not being around smoke is imperative.  I understand the new Holland policy and I see some have still experienced smoke drifting onto their balconies which would be really bad for us.  
I thought we'd spring for a large suite.  However, I'm not sure it'll be large enough for us & a teenage mess (think Pigpen from Charlie Brown).  When we travel domestically, we usually have a suite and he chooses to sleep in a corner on carpeted floor, more than the couch.  He never wants to sleep on the pullout couch.
I thought about connecting rooms, if there are such things, but I'd want us to share the balconies, not have separate ones.  However, the idea of him having his own bathroom is great!
I've read folks here prefer the Coral Princess but I see the land cruises are Grand or Pacific.  The reviews seem to say the ships show their age.
I'd appreciate any thoughts about cruise line and suite possibilities to accommodate our family. Or any other thoughts.
Thank you!

Try an owners suite on the Pacific Princess, it has a half bath off the main room, in addition to the full bath off the bedroom. Only Princess vessel that has that provision in a suite. Plenty of space, almost 1000 square feet, lots of room for your son. I would shy away from joint balcony rooms as it looks to me like the connection is always on the balcony and separating them is awkward since they can't completely remove the bulkheads. We got off the Pacific at the very end of December and loved the owners suite. Not sure what they are talking about when they say "worn", I don't buy that, they were always working on it to keep it in top shape paint wise and otherwise.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:51 PM, Coral said:

I think the Pacific Princess has (1) bed that can not be separated in those suites.

That is correct. The bed in the main bedroom can't be made into twins. I don't believe the other bed, which is basically a pullout of a large couch can be either. The pullout is a little different though than what is found in the mini-suites. My sister-in-law was with us half the voyage and she was reluctant to use a pull out, however tried it and found it to be real comfortable.   

2018---Pacific Princess  Meditteranean and TA 670.JPG

2018---Pacific Princess  Meditteranean and TA 668.JPG

2018---Pacific Princess  Meditteranean and TA 672.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The 2 bedroom suite on NCL is a good fit.   The master bedroom and master bath are

huge and the second bedroom and second bath are perfect for Pigpin.    I really liked the setup and enjoyed the second bed and bath.  lots of pictures on u tube to help you decide.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Seawoff said:

The 2 bedroom suite on NCL is a good fit.   The master bedroom and master bath are

huge and the second bedroom and second bath are perfect for Pigpin.    I really liked the setup and enjoyed the second bed and bath.  lots of pictures on u tube to help you decide.

Sounds great. Mind sharing the vessel name and name of suite?

NCL Bliss, Joy and Jewel all have the “Two Bedroom Family Suite with Balcony” .  

Recently sailed in one on the Star (sister to the Jewel).  These suites are very nice, but expensive.  I think most of NCL ships have this cabin option, with a few exceptions but not sure.