Carnival Magic 03/24 - 03/31

applegam

Hello all.  Just got back from the Magic.  Not going to due a full review as there are already so many out there.  Just pointing out a couple of things to share.

Embarkation.  So, this is our 5th cruise with Carnival, and our first in the last few years.  It's probably noted somewhere on here, but there is a change here.  We got there on time, go through security, and this time they take pics of the kids right at the main security entrance.  After that, they put a check on our boarding pass, and move to the x-rays.  Then, we make our way to the holding area, that we just wait with our assigned boarding number.  Here is where I was a little confused.  We use to have to go through that long line to get to the counter with like 45 agents waiting to check you in, and give you your S&S card.  Nope.  Now days, you just go to your cabin after the doors open at 1:30.  At that point they put your S&S card in your outside mailbox.  Not sure I'm really a fan of that.  What's stopping someone from just taking it and going into your room?  Anyway, just my 2 cents on that. 

The boat.  We have cruised in room 2258 2 times on the Breeze so no real surprises here.  Picked 2258 again on the Magic.  We like the location just down from the main lobby.  We enjoy this class of ship.  It's just right for us.  On a couple of excursions not with Carnival, we noticed several passengers from the other Mega Ships that were in port that were not happy at all.  Apparently you need to make reservations even just for the after dinner shows?  No thank you. 

We turned Gold on our last cruise.  Seemed like every day they were brining us some kind of treat such as a fruit plate, candies, Strawberries and such.  We didn't receive anything like that this time, just the standard things that come with Gold.  I'm not complaining, just pointing that out.  Was not sure that would last or not.  :-)

Food.  Again, not much changed here.  There was one new restaurant we tried, the Sea Food Shack.  I actually had really high hopes for this.  Lobster Rolls are not something you can get in my area.  I'll be honest, they were just OK.  Lots of Mayo to make up for little lobster.  They were OK, but would not order them again.  My daughter got the fish and chips for $8.  Again, OK but nothing to write home about. 

Debarkation.  Holy cow did this take FOREVER.  We had a late flight out of FFL so I figured we would do a day-stay at a FFL hotel.  So, we left our baggage out that night and I took luggage zone 29.  I figured we could make it off the ship around 9 to 10ish?  My mistake there.  We did not get off the boat to 11:15.   I wont make that mistake again. 

CD - MarQ.  I did like him.  Lots of energy, very friendly.  Would be happy to sail with him again. 

Over all - very happy again with Carnival.   We really enjoy the ports more than the boat.  Seriously thinking about taking the carnival fascination next year out of San Juan.  The itinerary for that is really hard to beat. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for you nice review.  We've sailed on the Magic three times, all prior to the addition of the Seafood Shack, and enjoyed each cruise.

Debarkation was also slow when she was in Galveston.  I never figured out exactly why.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise.

Was also on this sailing. We were told there was an incident at the Customs area about 8:30 which shut down that area for a while. Witnesses I spoke with said some passenger was asked for his bag to be checked, he threw a punch and melee with security broke out. I came here CC to see if anyone can corroborate. We didn't get out until 11:15 had a flight at 2:30 but we made it.

18 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

The Magic is our favorite ship so far.  We are booked on sister ship,  Breeze on October.  Great class of ship.

If you enjoyed the Magic you have a treat in store.  The Breeze is all that the Magic is, plus.  She is by far my favorite Carnival ship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We're getting on as you're getting off, 10/26-11/1.

We are doing a B2B and will be on the 10/26 cruise as you are getting on.  🙂

We are in Buckhead, GA (as some say, the "Real Buckhead") in Morgan County, population 200, not to be confused with the Buckhead area in Atlanta.

9 minutes ago, tandemcruzr said:

We are doing a B2B and will be on the 10/26 cruise as you are getting on.  🙂

We are in Buckhead, GA (as some say, the "Real Buckhead") in Morgan County, population 200, not to be confused with the Buckhead area in Atlanta.

Then we'll see you there!

Was on this same cruise....

I was in a spa cabin (11237) and I must say it was not up to what I expected. When getting spa treatments % discounts you have to do 3 treatment per person. They only give you a discount for 1 treatment only for  embarkation day only!! To receive 20%, 30% or 40% you need to do 3 treatments. Very strange how Carnival play with your mind on the numbers.  

The spa area is just ok.... In my opinion the 5 areas was a nice experience.

Smoking on the ship Carnival needs to be more strict... Letting people smoke where ever they want and e-cigs.... LOL

People puff them when ever and where ever they want. A cloud of smoke was coming off the elevator.  

In all it was nice and you get what you paid for. 

5 hours ago, Bernardo62 said:

Was on this same cruise....

I was in a spa cabin (11237) and I must say it was not up to what I expected. When getting spa treatments % discounts you have to do 3 treatment per person. They only give you a discount for 1 treatment only for  embarkation day only!! To receive 20%, 30% or 40% you need to do 3 treatments. Very strange how Carnival play with your mind on the numbers.  

The spa area is just ok.... In my opinion the 5 areas was a nice experience.

Smoking on the ship Carnival needs to be more strict... Letting people smoke where ever they want and e-cigs.... LOL

People puff them when ever and where ever they want. A cloud of smoke was coming off the elevator.  

In all it was nice and you get what you paid for. 

I am booked in 11237 and wasn't aware it was a spa cabin?!?  I took this room as an upgrade for $40.  Just wanted to be on an upper deck.  

On 4/2/2019 at 3:56 PM, dani85bri06 said:

Say what?!?!?!  I had no idea!  What all does a spa cabin have that a regular room doesn't?

You get unlimited access to the saunas and steam rooms, the thalassotherapy pool, and private elevator to the serenity deck.  Also special robes and slippers.  Well worth that $40 upgrade IMO