Anthem help for scooter user

My husband and I will be cruising on Anthem in May. He is having mobility issues and we will be renting a scooter for him to use.  This is our first trip where he needs this.  He uses a walker at home, but we are assuming that he will need the scooter because of the size of the ship. I would love any tips for making this easier. Any places that we should avoid or that are particularly easy to access?

Also we are currently booked in a room with a large balcony. Any idea how big these rooms are? Given the need for space for the scooter, I would be willing to downgrade the cabin to get more room.

Thanks for the help. 

Welcome to CC.

The cabin will be the same size (just under 200 sq ft) even if the balcony is bigger - not much spare space in there but probably enough for a scooter. It's probably too late to change to anything else this close to sailing. Main issue will be the elevators - you just need to have some patience.

My wife uses a scooter and here are some things to consider. Call RCCL and ask to be seated near the entrance to the dining rooms. It is very difficult to move thru the dining room in a scooter. You can park by your table, sit, and they will park it for you. At the end, they will  bring it back for you. In the Windjammer they have accessible tables with a handicapped sign on them.  In the theater, the last row is reserved for an accessible person and their guest. There are markers on the floor.   I may get flamed for this comment, but I Non-handicapped will try to use them because they are in a prime location. Just point them out to a staff member to help you out. For shows, you need to get there at least a half hour ahead of time, the seats are very limited.  Stay away from deck four. It's very difficult to get thru when the sale tables are set up.

You can rent a scooter from scootaround.com. They will have it in your when you board and leave it in the room at the end of your cruise. At most ports, you can take the scooter right off the ship. Just ask if you have additional questions.

We rented 2 for my mom and her best friend for a cruise on Anthem... 

We rented them from Special Needs At Sea

The only warning I can give you is to watch the speed!!! I used a wheelchair/scooter for about 2 years. The scooters in the grocery stores, sams club, etc are very slow in comparison. I used my moms on the cruise and I almost took out my husband!! Thankfully it has a speed control 

• Like 1

I was on Anthem last summer.  For the most part, the scooter accessibility should be ok, with one exception.  With the design and layout of the Royal Esplanade, it gets very crowded at times, especially when shows let out, or people are shopping at the tables they seem to put out just about every evening.  It's hard to walk through that area, let alone safely maneuver a scooter.  If you can avoid that area, you should be fine.