Port Canaveral first timers!!! Advice needed.

stuartgrn

We have always cruised from either Miami or Fort Lauderdale but am looking at a cruise from Port Canaveral. We are from the UK and would be flying into Orlando before the cruise so would have 2 full days before the cruise. Any advice on hotels, things to do would be appreciated -  we are a couple in our early 40’s with no children with us on this trip. I normally hire a car to give us some freedom but really have no experience of cruising out of Port Canaveral. Any advice or recommendations would be great. Thanks.

I would rent a car from MCO and drive to Cocoa Beach and get a nice hotel. (We prefer Hampton Inn there). While you're in town, I would drive to Kennedy Space Center. That's not something you get to see every day. It's such a neat place. 

While you're in the area, Grillz up in Cape Canaveral is a good place to eat. Then you can return your rental car somewhere in Cocoa Beach / Cape Canaveral the night before you sail, then catch an Uber to the port the next morning.

Totally agree with spending a day at Kennedy Space Center as it is an awesome experience.  If space is not your thing you could spend the days prior to cruise in Orlando visiting Disney or Universal.  Not really familiar with hotels in Cape area as have always traded time share weeks and stayed in time shares there.  I am certain there are better restaurants around town but I really enjoy the restaurants at the Port and there are many to choose from. 

Any day in Florida is a great day.  So much to see and do.

Have you visited the attractions in Central Florida before? If the answer is no, I would then stay in the Orlando area, narrow things down to one theme park, and then drive to port on the morning of the cruise. It’s not that far, about 40 miles away. 

The number of attractions as well as hotel options in Orlando are mind boggling. Too many too list here, and hard to narrow a hotel down for you not knowing what attraction you’re interested in. I’d start by selecting what activity you want to do, and then select a hotel that’s conveniently located near that activity, according to your budget. 

We’ve combined Legoland with a cruise, and we’ve also combined Disney with a cruise. Another time we stated in Cocoa Beach the night before the cruise. All have been enjoyable in their own way. It has really depended on what we were in the mood for at the time. 

Edited by Tapi

If you are interested in shopping take a look at the Florida Hotel.

Very Nice Hotel attached the the Huge Florida Mall. When I say 

attached I mean attached. You walk out the lobby into the mall.

It is a very decent hotel, Both Virgin and BA crew stay there.

WE have stayed there several times and then used Mears VIP

transport to the port. 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we are looking at visiting the Space Centre as we're not that interested in theme parks and roller coasters so it looks like we will pick up a car at the airport and go down to the beach area. Any recommendations for hotels in that area would be great. I am a hilton honours member so get discounted rates at hilton branded hotels.

8 hours ago, stuartgrn said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we are looking at visiting the Space Centre as we're not that interested in theme parks and roller coasters so it looks like we will pick up a car at the airport and go down to the beach area. Any recommendations for hotels in that area would be great. I am a hilton honours member so get discounted rates at hilton branded hotels.

Good choice!

At the beach you can pick from oceanfront Hilton properties or highway locations.

If seeing the beach or walking to the beach is not that important (you have car!), look at the Homewood Suites in Canaveral. It is the newest hotel with some cruise ship views.

In Cocoa Beach the Hilton is oceanfront but a bit isolated while Hampton Inn is short walk from the beach.