Cheap way to get to the beach

CarolinaQC

Hi!

Me and other 5 friends are going on MSC Meraviglia in December and we are stoping at Roatan.
We really want to enjoy the beach but we are quite on a budget, we want to save as much money as possible...
What's the best and cheapest way to get to the beach?
I've read about taking the local mini bus. The stop is near the cruise port? Its easy to get there? Do you think it is safe and a good option? 
Thank you very much

Edited by CarolinaQC

13 minutes ago, CarolinaQC said:

Hi!

Me and other 5 friends are going on MSC Meraviglia in December and we are stoping at Roatan.
We really want to enjoy the beach but we are quite on a budget, we want to save as much money as possible...
What's the best and cheapest way to get to the beach?
I've read about taking the local mini bus. The stop is near the cruise port? Its easy to get there? Do you think it is safe and a good option? 
Thank you very much

I think MSC use Coxen Hole? If so your cheapest transport would be Bodden to Sol y Mar, $20pp. Since there are 6 in your group it would be $25pp for a pre booked private driver for the day so that might be an option, depending on your budget and you could stop other places too.

West Bay is the most popular destination but it is further and shuttle transport will be more than Sol y Mar.

Mini bus is a possibility but no pre determined schedule and i dont think I would like to rely on it for a return trip on a cruise ship day. YMMV.

Edited by c-leg5

There are two ports on Roatan.  Which port does your ship use? 

The minibus runs from the middle of Coxen Hole to West End, they are all kinds of safe, they are on a schedule of every 15mins, they stop anywhere along the route so time to West End varies, figure at least 20 mins. The big worry is space on the bus, the locals use the minibus as a means of getting from point A to Point B.. with five in your group it may be a challenge or you may have some dirty locals from the locals who have NO money and you have paid for a cruise to get to the island. 

Another option is collectivo taxi, one would have to walk all the way out to the main road. If you speak Spanish and if you have haggle skills you could get them down to something reasonable per person. The problem here is you would need a taxi back and those guys are not going to be denied knowing you have to be back to a ship.   http://tourismroatan.com/about-roatan/getting-around

Ahhh better yet... take c-legs advice with a Bodden Shuttle to Sol Y Mar.  Wait, is it only sand you seek? I am still not sure Sol Y Mar is swimmable. 

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I think MSC use Coxen Hole? If so your cheapest transport would be Bodden to Sol y Mar, $20pp. Since there are 6 in your group it would be $25pp for a pre booked private driver for the day so that might be an option, depending on your budget and you could stop other places too.

West Bay is the most popular destination but it is further and shuttle transport will be more than Sol y Mar.

Mini bus is a possibility but no pre determined schedule and i dont think I would like to rely on it for a return trip on a cruise ship day. YMMV.

Yes, Coxen Hole I believe
Thank you very much, that seems a nice idea.
Guest 2000 said that mar y sol may not be swimmable, do you know if it is? Ever been there? Do you recommend it?

1 hour ago, Guest 2000 said:

There are two ports on Roatan.  Which port does your ship use? 

The minibus runs from the middle of Coxen Hole to West End, they are all kinds of safe, they are on a schedule of every 15mins, they stop anywhere along the route so time to West End varies, figure at least 20 mins. The big worry is space on the bus, the locals use the minibus as a means of getting from point A to Point B.. with five in your group it may be a challenge or you may have some dirty locals from the locals who have NO money and you have paid for a cruise to get to the island. 

Another option is collectivo taxi, one would have to walk all the way out to the main road. If you speak Spanish and if you have haggle skills you could get them down to something reasonable per person. The problem here is you would need a taxi back and those guys are not going to be denied knowing you have to be back to a ship.   http://tourismroatan.com/about-roatan/getting-around

Ahhh better yet... take c-legs advice with a Bodden Shuttle to Sol Y Mar.  Wait, is it only sand you seek? I am still not sure Sol Y Mar is swimmable. 

Thank you very much for your reply!
Coxen Hole I believe!
When you say that the minibus runs from the middle of Coxen Hole, how far is it from the cruise port? Is it safe to walk around Roatan?

1 hour ago, CarolinaQC said:

Thank you very much for your reply!
Coxen Hole I believe!
When you say that the minibus runs from the middle of Coxen Hole, how far is it from the cruise port? Is it safe to walk around Roatan?

It maybe a 15/20 min walk to the bus boarding spot. Once upon a time, there was a website with good info on directions.. sadly looks look they gave it up.  You will have to ask when you get to town. 

I am a solo female traveler and have never had any trouble on the island.  I have heaps if travels sense and have been on some extended holidays (8weeks) to fair dodgy places.   What I mean is, I can not tell you if you will be safe,  I always have been. 

West Bay has plenty of security, if you have any doubt about safety, go there. 

On 4/8/2019 at 12:23 PM, CarolinaQC said:

well, there were armed guards at the gas stations....

We went to Kiosk #7 at the Coxen Hole port and for a $15 pp roundtrip went to the Infinity Bay beach ($20 pp per day for a chaise and pool access).

• 7 months later...