TUI River Cruises - new product

3 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Quote Flights (non TUI) will be from across the U.K. End quote

Hmmm. Yes and no.  Could not find a "choose airport" option and looking for Scottish airport options was taking too long as had to do a partial booking on each to find "alternative flight options".

Finally gave up and called the river cruise tel number and spoke with someone who advised that only one itinerary had Scottish airport options (supplement applies) and that is the Bavarian Discovery itinerary-on three dates. Depending on the date, these are only Glasgow OR Edinburgh, not Glasgow AND Edinburgh. Hopefully she gave me the correct info.

We only did one river cruise, a 14 night Budapest to Amsterdam and could have been interested in the Iron Gates itinerary, but it won't be with TUI.

Anyone considering a river cruise who is unfamiliar with river cruising should read all about them on the river cruise board before booking, as there are many "pros" and "cons" and river cruising is very different to ocean cruises.

They are generally not suited to anyone with a disability, in part as "rafting" is often needed. This is where 2 or more boats are moored together. On a couple of occasions we were #3 of 3. This involves walking up and down temporary walkways which connect boats to the riverbank.

The more expensive balcony cabins can appear attractive, but boats often only sail at night as most days you are ashore.

When docked alongside, balconies and doors usually have to be locked for security. Curtains often need to be closed for privacy as members of the public could be walking or cycling along the towpath just feet away. If you are "rafting", there could be cabins on the "rafted" boat which are only inches from yours. And yes, you can see everything.

High and low river levels can have a huge impact.

We really enjoyed ours, but it was not impacted by river levels. We knew we were relying on luck when we booked it, and were lucky, but we have been wary of booking any others since then.

Do read the river cruise boards so you can make an informed decision.

Thank you for such useful information.  Your details about river cruises being unsuitable for people with a disability has helped us realise that sadly one is not for us.

6 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Quote Flights (non TUI) will be from across the U.K. End quote

Hmmm. Yes and no.  Could not find a "choose airport" option and looking for Scottish airport options was taking too long as had to do a partial booking on each to find "alternative flight options".

Finally gave up and called the river cruise tel number and spoke with someone who advised that only one itinerary had Scottish airport options (supplement applies) and that is the Bavarian Discovery itinerary-on three dates. Depending on the date, these are only Glasgow OR Edinburgh, not Glasgow AND Edinburgh. Hopefully she gave me the correct info.

Theres a surprise...Not

Watched the Jane McDonald prog tonight and although it looked good its not for us,besides the  disability side would be an issue

I have only been on three river cruises, but apart from a Yangtze river cruise, I found them a little boring compared to a sea cruise. Legionnaires' disease broke out on an Amsterdam river cruise we did, my wife was quite ill.

Didn’t want the post to come across as very negative towards river cruising, only wanted to caution against booking a river cruise without doing a bit of homework first as they are so different from ocean cruises and might not suit everyone.  There are also a number of issues which can affect them quite seriously, including the dreaded water levels, locksmen strikes, any accidents caused by river traffic other than river boats etc. Our evening entertainment was mostly a quiz, a glass blowing demo, a man playing an electronic keyboard, a couple of local acts who board at one dock and jump ship one or two locks further along. They offered local music, song and dance. These are probably typical of most lines although you would need to ask others as we only experienced one and heard about others from friends. Food was actually excellent for us. More meals focused on dishes from the countries and regional areas we were passing through, wines ditto. And we really really enjoyed close cruising, so there were pros and cons.

On the River Cruising Forum there are some stickies at the top, this is one of them:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2435910-what-to-expect-on-a-river-cruise/

and another:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2652192-river-water-levels-in-2019/

We know several people who have tried river cruising with mixed results. Some have had no issues, others have had more than one curtailed, cancelled or turned into a bus tour.

For anyone unsure about river cruising, Fred Olsen does what we call “hybrid” cruises. IE they offer some river cruises but on an ocean liner. We did their German Waterways last year onboard Balmoral. River cruising with the advantage of the facilities of an ocean liner.  It suited us, might suit others too.

More established river cruise lines are much more accommodating for regional flights, and sometimes there is only a small supplement to pay, other times there is no extra charge. And some can offer rail instead of flights. Some include all shorex, some include some drinks with meals, others are AI.

I would suggest that you compare a total package with Tui against that of other river cruise lines

And read the River Cruises Forum too.

Many thanks to posters above who gave feedback as never sure what others think. I was only concerned that some might book without doing homework first.

GOQ has done three river cruises to our one and could maybe add some tips, info and/or opinions especially if he thinks differently to me. I don't mind criticism!

Edited by edinburgher

I would agree with many of your comments however we all get something different out of cruises and some may prefer the quieter more leisurely experience of river cruising.  We were unfortunate with the Amsterdam cruise which was about 15 years ago and standards with newer boats have probably improved by now.

The Yangtze river cruise was something quite unique. From the point of view of a river cruise boat we got to see parts of China you just would not see from a tour bus. This probably applies to any river cruise, it depends upon the itinerary. The Rhine river cruise we did was just sort of uneventful and ordinary, nice scenery.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, GOQ said:

I suppose so. To avoid Norovirus just keep washing your hands, to avoid LD just don't take a shower :((

Hi,joking aside,as a recently retired plumber,I can vouch that prevention of LD is at the top of the list now regarding design and installation of all systems and old systems in the public sector have in the main been brought up to standard.Cheers,Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

My partner and I have just booked the 15 day European Icons on the Maya (Oct 2020). It feels like a bit of a punt seeing that we have no idea on what the ship or the service will be like compared to other lines. We have cruised loads with Marella so we have our expectations in check somewhat. We will definitely be keeping an eye on reviews and photos of the ships from next April though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 4:58 PM, Eastcoaster63 said:

Hi Hopo84

On the verge of booking the Icons cruise too

Seasoned cruiser but first river cruise

If the store's acceptable, see you in the bar for a drink!

Yes see you on board !