Cruising on Viking ocean as a solo woman?

Cherub21

Have cruised with my late husband Crystal, Oceania, Princess and HAL but really need to understand whether I will feel welcomed as a solo woman on Viking Sun. Is it really “coupledom” or will people welcome me at shared dining tables in the various restaurants and chat around the ship. I am a very keen reader, love classical music and am a fit and adventurous well travelled business woman. I too have been attracted to Viking for all the things it doesn’t have but would welcome comments on how it feels to be solo on Viking Ocean. Are there any special activities or assistance for solo travellers. I am booked on the first leg of the 2020 Viking World Cruise out of LA.  CherubOz

First step is to join the roll call for your segment and start getting to know people. By the time you depart in 8 months, you will already have met people and maybe even made plans with them. I can't tell from your description whether you mean that you are on the LA to London World Cruise or if you mean you are on the first segment of the world cruise or I would give you the exact link. In any case, you will find your roll call here. don't bother with the "Find Your Roll Call" link above as it is inaccurate:

Viking Sun Roll Calls

Next, sign up for the on board Meet and Mingle party that Viking hosts for Cruise Critic members. There is a link at the top of this page.

Not a single traveler but the I can say that the Viking clientele is diverse. There are groups; there are couples of all varieties; there are singles of every description -- and I will leave the reader to fill in the adjectives. We come from a variety places around the globe and from a variety of backgrounds, professions and careers. For the most part, Viking travelers are friendly.

People who chose to sit at shared tables just want to meet and talk with people -- and those who don't want to meet new people sit at a table for 2.  I can also speak personally and say that more than once we have invited single travelers to join us for dinner or some other activity.

• Like 1

Hi CherubOz - can't help with your solo pax question, but have included a link to our active roll call. Come on over to the Roll Call, as a number of us have already booked the same hotel in San Pedro for 1 or 2 nights pre-cruise and we also have 1 private tour booked. Don't forget to sign up for the meet & mingle.

Heidi13

Can you email me at BigNCBear@aol.com please?  Got a couple of questions that aren't on topic and I don't see an email address for you on your blog...speaking of which thanks for including mine in your list of "exceptional" blogs!

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Heidi13

Can you email me at BigNCBear@aol.com please?  Got a couple of questions that aren't on topic and I don't see an email address for you on your blog...speaking of which thanks for including mine in your list of "exceptional" blogs!

Clay - emailed you, per your request

• Like 1

Thank you to all who have replied and I shall follow up on suggestions. I am on the Viking Sun from LA  January 4 2020 on the leg of World Cruise that ends in Sydney and look forward to meeting my fellow passengers! CherubOz

On 4/13/2019 at 12:55 PM, Cherub21 said:

Thank you to all who have replied and I shall follow up on suggestions. I am on the Viking Sun from LA  January 4 2020 on the leg of World Cruise that ends in Sydney and look forward to meeting my fellow passengers! CherubOz

Hope to see you on the Roll Call

On 4/11/2019 at 10:14 AM, Geosez said:

https://wordwrite.wixsite.com/passepartoutpart3

Check out this blog.  Susan is on her second World Cruise as a single -- actually, it's her second cruise period!  Great, fun writing, wonderful pictures.  You might be able to contact her directly with your questions. 

I follow Susan’s blog as well and she seems to be having an awesome time in her solo travels.  She and I have shared a couple of emails since I started following her.  I suspect she could provide some insight for you.  She certainly has for me.  

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2019 at 5:33 PM, X-IO1 said:

I follow Susan’s blog as well and she seems to be having an awesome time in her solo travels.  She and I have shared a couple of emails since I started following her.  I suspect she could provide some insight for you.  She certainly has for me.  

Susan writes a great blog.  I followed the Viking Sun World Cruise that just ended in May.  Apparently there were several solo cruisers who regularly met for meals and such.  Aside from other solo cruisers, on our Viking Star Cruise my husband and I split up on excursions sometimes and noticed others doing the same.  At those "solo" times there was always someone to talk or walk with.  Not all couples travel joined at the hip.

It's funny this question was asked because on our VO cruise recently, I noticed a woman dining alone for two consecutive nights.  I felt bad for the lady and specifically asked her to join us.  It turned out that she was open to the idea but explained that her husband worked on the ship.  It turned out that we knew her husband as he was the director for planning excursions.  We were happy that we did, and later invited her to join us on a private excursion to Florence.  

• Like 1