Snorkeling

dcovino

I want to take my two 12-year-olds snorkeling when we go to Grand Cayman but they are beginners and I am reluctant to take them in open water on a catamaran.  I researched shore excursions and found that you can snorkel from the shore at Eden Rock and Paradise reef.  However, reviewers have mentioned that it is not good for beginners.  Does anyone have any other recommendations for snorkeling from the shore?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  :classic_smile:

Eden Rock is certainly NOT a good place for beginners.

Don't totally dismiss taking them on a catamaran snorkel tour.

The operators are use to first time snorkelers and will give instructions and help them.  :classic_wink:

We went to Eden Rock with my 8 year old and 10 year old.  They were fine.  My 8 year old isn't even a good swimmer.  she had her life vest on and was fine.   There was no wind/current/waves that day.   The best snorkeling is a good swim out.  But there was plenty to see right near the ladder for kids.  My son was able to swim out to the main area no problem.   The water does get deep.  But we just floated around with no problem.

My husband has had to tow tired cruise ship visitors into shore at Eden Rock twice.  It’s a long way out to the actual snorkeling there, and inexperienced snorkellers often get into trouble.

IMO, a better spot for DIY snorkeling with beginners would be Smith Cove Barcardere.  Take your own gear, snacks/water and towels.  There are bathrooms.  Easy taxi ride from the port, in the opposite direction as Seven Mile Beach.

https://www.visitcaymanislands.com/en-ca/experiences/beaches/smith-barcadere-grand-cayman

Edited by bookbabe

I found the snorkeling to be pretty good near the ladders at eden the other day.  Smith cove was nice but a little choppy the other day. But overall nice for beginners. We actually walked there from eden. Its 1.2 miles. 

• 1 month later...

If the weather at Smith Cove/Barcadere cooperates, then I would say that this would be a great place for beginner snorkellers.  Without having to swim too far you will get to coral heads and the usual tropical fish.  It's not the full splendour of a big reef, but it would satisfy those who haven't done it before.

The water can get a big churned up there, though, depending upon what the weather has been doing.

Governor's Beach (part of Seven Mile Beach) is also decent - a bit more of a swim out but still stuff to see.

Eden Rock is the best snorkel on the south-west of the island, in my opinion, but it can be a bit more of a challenge.