disembarkation time

sskate

We have booked an Alaskan cruise from Whittier to Vancouver.  The itinerary reads "Vancouver arrive 7:30".  Does anyone know if this is the time the cruise ship arrive in the waters of Vancouver or that disembarkation starts at 7:30 am?  We would like to carry on our next leg of trip on a float plane at 9:00 am.  The float plane base is near the cruise ship terminal.  Will a 9:00 am flight too early.  Check in time is 25 minutes before departure time and we need to store our luggage so as to go light on the flight.  We stay in an inside cabin, so I guess we will be the last to disembark.

If your plan is to use the luggage storage service at Canada Place there is not the tiniest chance in Hades you will accomplish that task by 8:35 even you are one of the first ones off the ship at 7:30. The line at their window is interminable; I spent nearly an hour it in and not even one quarter of the persons ahead of me had been served before I gave up. And this was in early June disembarking Golden Princess with 1000 fewer fellow passengers than you will have on Royal Princess (though on a Saturday with the full compliment of four ships in port). 

Cabin cat. has nothing to do with disembarkation. You select your time on the disembarkation questionnaire. You probably have to select the early walk off option, but even then being where you want to be at 8:30 is a stretch.

3 hours ago, fishywood said:

If your plan is to use the luggage storage service at Canada Place there is not the tiniest chance in Hades you will accomplish that task by 8:35 even you are one of the first ones off the ship at 7:30. The line at their window is interminable; I spent nearly an hour it in and not even one quarter of the persons ahead of me had been served before I gave up. And this was in early June disembarking Golden Princess with 1000 fewer fellow passengers than you will have on Royal Princess (though on a Saturday with the full compliment of four ships in port). 

We will use either porter service, i.e. they come to pick up and deliver our luggage at designated time and place or with the float plane company.  Will we be able to disembark by 8:00 am if the brochure says arrive 7:30 am? or this is only the time the ship arrives in Vancouver and is yet to be tied to dock?

4 minutes ago, sskate said:

We will use either porter service, i.e. they come to pick up and deliver our luggage at designated time and place or with the float plane company.  Will we be able to disembark by 8:00 am if the brochure says arrive 7:30 am? or this is only the time the ship arrives in Vancouver and is yet to be tied to dock?

OK I managed to dig out the disembarkation sheet from Golden Princess last year. There were two Express Walk-Off groups at 7:30 and 7:40. The first claim-your-bags tag group was 8:25. So if you can handle all your luggage yourself until meeting the pick up service you have a chance at being clear of Canada Place before 8:30 assuming absolutely no delay in the ship's clearance.

Assuming you are on Royal Princess based on your other posts, remember this summer will be her first season in Alaska. Vancouver is hardly the most efficiently run disembarkaton port to begin with, and Royal will have anywhere from 400 to 800 to 1600 more passengers than the other Princess ships turning around there. I know you want to book this ASAP but it will be another month before any firsthand word of how Royal is doing in Vancouver.

Even though the plan is to start disembarking at 7:30, the first walk-offs will be disembarked when the ship is cleared by Canadian customs and agents have taken their posts to process passengers.So yeah, it's a crap-shoot and the odds of you making your flight are not in your favor.

1. Ship arrives at 7:30am. This means that the ship will be along side then. Next the ship will have to be cleared by local authorities. This will probably take 15 to 30 minutes unless there is a problem. After that, debarkation can begin. There will probably be several groups for all the carry off people. The first group will probably go by 8am. the last 8:20 to 8:30. 

2. How fast can you run? NO, not fast enough