Seven Mile Beach: Lunch & Walk

ajtraveler66

Looking for suggestions for a memorable but reasonably priced lunch somewhere along Seven Mile Beach.  Would then like to take a leisurely walk along the beach that would include some uncrowded areas.  [Probably would prefer a local restaurant that includes some seafood...with sandwiches as an alternative].

Where would be the best place to get off from the taxi.....and where would be the best place to board a taxi for getting back to the ship.  

That’s a tough one.  Many restaurants along SMB are either in hotels or are geared towards tourists, so depending on your definition of reasonable, you may have trouble finding something that is both memorable and reasonably priced.

And depending on when you are traveling, you may also have trouble with the uncrowded part of the equation.  SMB is the main tourist area on the island, especially at the end closest to the port.

I’d look at the following restaurant guide, see what’s out there that looks appealing and within your price range, and go from there.

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_results_list.asp?restaurantID=0&locationID=5&cuisineID=0&c=1%2C4&Submit=Filter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruisingMom77 said:

What is the closest access point to the cruise port?

Depends on what you mean by access point?  If you mean a spot you can settle in and lay out towels, rent chairs, have facilities like food/restrooms available, then it’s Royal Palms.  If you mean a path to the beach, there are public access points about every 200 yards or so up and down the length of the beach.  Those paths are marked with signs labelled “beach access” and are fairly easy to spot.  You can also usually cut through hotels, the first of which is Margaritaville Resort.  

Note, it will be tough to convince a taxi (shared ride vans) to drop you off at any access point closer to the port than Royal Palms.  Your better option is to take a taxi or the bus to the furthest point you want to go to and then walk back towards the port.

16 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Depends on what you mean by access point?  If you mean a spot you can settle in and lay out towels, rent chairs, have facilities like food/restrooms available, then it’s Royal Palms.  If you mean a path to the beach, there are public access points about every 200 yards or so up and down the length of the beach.  Those paths are marked with signs labelled “beach access” and are fairly easy to spot.  You can also usually cut through hotels, the first of which is Margaritaville Resort.  

Note, it will be tough to convince a taxi (shared ride vans) to drop you off at any access point closer to the port than Royal Palms.  Your better option is to take a taxi or the bus to the furthest point you want to go to and then walk back towards the port.

If we would taxi out to Royal Palms and then walk our way back toward the ship would there be any places to find a decent lunch (other than Royal Palms) along the way?

Edited by ajtraveler66
Punctuation, etc.

19 minutes ago, ajtraveler66 said:

If we would taxi out to Royal Palms and then walk our way back toward the ship would there be any places to find a decent lunch (other than Royal Palms) along the way?

If you want a long walk along the beach, that doesn't work well.  Royal Palms is very close to the port, and the beach stops not that far after, near Margaritaville Resort.  See this google map to get an idea:  https://goo.gl/maps/zRvQRsSqjCbZdFkp9

Along the beach, most restaurants are in hotels or beach clubs.  There are a few restaurants nearer to the port that overlook the water, but they're not on beach.  Along the Seven Mile Beach strip, there are many good restaurants but the best ones are along the road, not along the beach.  Go to the restaurant link I posted above and see what/where you are interested in eating.

The maps and websites will help you get an idea of what I mean.  Checking them out will be helpful in your decision-making.

24 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

If you want a long walk along the beach, that doesn't work well.  Royal Palms is very close to the port, and the beach stops not that far after, near Margaritaville Resort.  See this google map to get an idea:  https://goo.gl/maps/zRvQRsSqjCbZdFkp9

Along the beach, most restaurants are in hotels or beach clubs.  There are a few restaurants nearer to the port that overlook the water, but they're not on beach.  Along the Seven Mile Beach strip, there are many good restaurants but the best ones are along the road, not along the beach.  Go to the restaurant link I posted above and see what/where you are interested in eating.

The maps and websites will help you get an idea of what I mean.  Checking them out will be helpful in your decision-making.

Thank you so much for your helpful input.  Since we won't have to book an excursion, much will depend on the weather that day, of course.  So we will probably come up with a Plan A (Great Beach Day) and a Plan B (Not Such A Great Beach Day) beforehand.  But I know that we will want to visit a decent lunch place either way. ...   One last question that might be helpful:  "If we don't make a reservation, would we have any problem finding a place to have lunch in those places that you mentioned slightly away from the beach?  We will be on the NCL Getaway, and that's a pretty big ship.  Not sure if others will be in port that day or not.

10 minutes ago, ajtraveler66 said:

Thank you so much for your helpful input.  Since we won't have to book an excursion, much will depend on the weather that day, of course.  So we will probably come up with a Plan A (Great Beach Day) and a Plan B (Not Such A Great Beach Day) beforehand.  But I know that we will want to visit a decent lunch place either way. ...   One last question that might be helpful:  "If we don't make a reservation, would we have any problem finding a place to have lunch in those places that you mentioned slightly away from the beach?  We will be on the NCL Getaway, and that's a pretty big ship.  Not sure if others will be in port that day or not.

At the restaurant link above, each restaurant's page will say whether reservations are recommended or not.  Most won't need reservations for lunch, especially the more casual ones that cater to tourists.

How far is the closest beach access from the port? Is it walkable? What I am a bit concerned is the way back to port, and then tendering. Never did a tender port before. Are taxis, buses readily available along SMB anytime we want to head back to the port area? 

5 hours ago, CruisingMom77 said:

How far is the closest beach access from the port? Is it walkable? What I am a bit concerned is the way back to port, and then tendering. Never did a tender port before. Are taxis, buses readily available along SMB anytime we want to head back to the port area? 

Please see my previous answer to you regarding your first question.

Is it walkable? Many people do, but I wouldn’t.  A google map showing distances and the location of things is linked above.

Buses and taxis are usually readily available along the road that follows SMB, but traffic can be bad at times.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Perky1 said:

Does the royal palms charge to get in?  Can you get a chair?

Royal Palms charges $2 a person for cruise visitors to use the facilities, which includes an adults-only pool.

They have the usual chair/umbrella rentals, and cabana rentals, but there are separate tables and chairs for patrons to use when purchasing food or drinks.

All the details are on their website:

https://royalpalmscayman.com/cruising/

On 4/17/2019 at 5:36 PM, bookbabe said:

Please see my previous answer to you regarding your first question.

Is it walkable? Many people do, but I wouldn’t.  A google map showing distances and the location of things is linked above.

Buses and taxis are usually readily available along the road that follows SMB, but traffic can be bad at times.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

Nothing is inexpensive in GC.  Pretty expensive place.  There will be chair/umbrella rentals all along the beach.  No worries about that!

Have to agree with the above.  Very safe but don't expect it to be inexpensive. :classic_dry:

• 3 weeks later...