LFK or West Bay Beach

Maysel

What ship are you on? Which port?

If in Coxen Hole, West Bay is closer.  Do shoreexcursioners tour to ensure transportation and reliable guides as to areas where you can go.

If in Mahogany Bay, LFK is closer.

We will be docking in Coxen Hole on MSC Divina.  I am not so much concerned about distance, but which one is better.  I don't want to miss out on LFK if it is a must do. I also want to experience some great snorkeling.  Thank you for your input.  ☺️

Edited by Maysel

Read the recent reviews on LFK.  Seems to be having some issues. Some still have a good time, others not so much.

When DW and SIL went there 2 or 3 years ago, they had a great time. Easy to get to from Mahogany Bay.  But that was before all the uproar over "animal rescue" raids and a fire

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

Read the recent reviews on LFK.  Seems to be having some issues. Some still have a good time, others not so much.

When DW and SIL went there 2 or 3 years ago, they had a great time. Easy to get to from Mahogany Bay.  But that was before all the uproar over "animal rescue" raids and a fire

Thank you.  I may stick to West Bay.  

I would think French key would be more relaxing.  It looks amazing.  I would like to visit one day.    West Bay beach is very pretty but busy with lots of vendors.  But the snorkeling is amazing.  You can snorkel from the beach if you want.  We were a little far from the snorkel point and had limited time so we paid someone to take us out on the boat to the reef.  It was amazing.  I can't comment on the snorkeling at little french key.  Here are a few of our photos from two weeks ago

P4030140.jpg

P4030198.jpg

P4030218.jpg

Edited by brookeq

On 4/18/2019 at 2:51 PM, brookeq said:

But the snorkeling is amazing.  You can snorkel from the beach if you want.  We were a little far from the snorkel point and had limited time so we paid someone to take us out on the boat to the reef.

May I ask how much you paid to do that?  I was in Roatan in November, and took off to snorkel on my own. A guide swimming with a ring (to pull people) followed me out and wouldn't leave me alone.  I finally decided to let him give me his guided tour, but he wouldn't give me a price and just said "whatever."

I warned him that I didn't have a lot of cash with me (true), so only ended up giving him $25.  I'm going back in a week, and want to bring enough this time, but I don't know what their expectation is.  Any guidance (I realize yours was on a boat) would be helpful.

Edited to add that I also thought the West Bay snorkeling was amazing and a "don't miss" opportunity.

Edited by RW_MI

It cost the four of us $75 i think.  It was more and my husband talked them down.  We really didn't have any other option since we were so far away (it was so busy that all the closer resorts were taken by the time we got there after seeing the sloths) and didn't have a lot of time.     We also had our two kids who we had to bring with us.   So that didn't help either.  It was too far for us to walk with both kids and not be rushed.  I am sure you can get a better deal.  

LFK looks amazing, but it was dead the day we were in port. Because of our limited time in Roatan, I booked the ship's snorkeling excursion, which had us a Big French Key, just across the small bay. While our island was packed, I saw maybe 10 people at most over on LFK. I don't know why it was so deserted, as there were 2 Carnival ships and my MSC Armonia in port that day. I guess all of the Carnival folks just stayed at Mahogany Bay? Or maybe they had already left since we didn't dock until noon. 

The snorkeling was some of the best I've ever done. We went out by boat to the reef just off shore. I could have spent all day out there but we only got 45 minutes. 

2 hours ago, travelingtink said:

LFK looks amazing, but it was dead the day we were in port. Because of our limited time in Roatan, I booked the ship's snorkeling excursion, which had us a Big French Key, just across the small bay. While our island was packed, I saw maybe 10 people at most over on LFK. I don't know why it was so deserted, as there were 2 Carnival ships and my MSC Armonia in port that day. I guess all of the Carnival folks just stayed at Mahogany Bay? Or maybe they had already left since we didn't dock until noon. 

The snorkeling was some of the best I've ever done. We went out by boat to the reef just off shore. I could have spent all day out there but we only got 45 minutes. 

I guess all the negative publicity, and ever increasing prices, have taken their toll on LFK. 

However you are one of the few people who has said they have visited BFK. I have asked before but would really appreciate any information you can share regarding facilities at BFK. Thanks!

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I guess all the negative publicity, and ever increasing prices, have taken their toll on LFK. 

However you are one of the few people who has said they have visited BFK. I have asked before but would really appreciate any information you can share regarding facilities at BFK. Thanks!

Plenty of lounge chairs and hammocks, a few tables, restrooms, changing rooms, outdoor showers to rinse off and a bar/restaurant. I didn't even step foot in the bar area since my tour included chips, beans, salsa and juice or tea. They were serving it near the beach so I didn't need to go to the bar. My tour including snorkeling and kayaking so I don't know of those are available for anyone else not on a formal excursion. I would think so, but at a charge. There were 4 or 5 local crafters selling small trinkets and fresh coconut water. It shares the lagoon with LFK and it appeared that anyone could use the swings/lounges/palapas etc in the water. I didn't see any ropes or anything blocking access. I did not have time to venture over otherwise I would have tried to see the wildlife. 

2 hours ago, travelingtink said:

Plenty of lounge chairs and hammocks, a few tables, restrooms, changing rooms, outdoor showers to rinse off and a bar/restaurant. I didn't even step foot in the bar area since my tour included chips, beans, salsa and juice or tea. They were serving it near the beach so I didn't need to go to the bar. My tour including snorkeling and kayaking so I don't know of those are available for anyone else not on a formal excursion. I would think so, but at a charge. There were 4 or 5 local crafters selling small trinkets and fresh coconut water. It shares the lagoon with LFK and it appeared that anyone could use the swings/lounges/palapas etc in the water. I didn't see any ropes or anything blocking access. I did not have time to venture over otherwise I would have tried to see the wildlife. 

Thanks so much, certainly sounds like something to try for a change!