VISA FOR CHINA- CONFUSING

harbourside

My cruise  FAR EAST DISCOVERY  Hong Kong to Beijing, has two Japanese ports during cruise. 

Does that mean I have to get a multi entry visa for China, as I will have left China for two days visiting Japan, then returning to China.

Harbourside...if you go to the river cruising portion of the forum, there is quite a bit about this in the one thread I had started awhile ago ("undiscovered china". We're considering doing this trip within the next few years, and so I had also inquired about the visa. If you're only visiting for a few days, perhaps the policy is more relaxed than if you're there for an extended time. 

35 minutes ago, harbourside said:

My cruise  FAR EAST DISCOVERY  Hong Kong to Beijing, has two Japanese ports during cruise. 

Does that mean I have to get a multi entry visa for China, as I will have left China for two days visiting Japan, then returning to China.

hello again Harbourside.

The Chinese Embassy in Australia has a website which explains (in a confusing way) what Aussies have to do to obtain a visa. In relation to multiple entry visas for Tourists the website indicates ..

L visa is issued to those who intend to go to China as a tourist.

The invitation letter should contain:

1) Information of the applicant, including full name, gender, date of birth and etc.

2) Information of the planned visit, including purpose of visit, arrival and departure dates, place(s) to be visited, relations between the applicant and the inviting entity or individual, financial source for expenditures.

4. Consular officers decide

Consular officers are authorized to decide whether or not to issue a visa and its validity, duration of stay and number of entries.

Again, this relates to Aussies but it seems to suggest we have to explain (in the application) that we will require multiple entry (and why) and they then decide.

I assume NZ citizens would have a similar process to follow.

I'm not sure if the Chinese Embassy in NZ has a similar section - but if not you may have to get in touch with the Embassy and seek advice. Cheers, LM

I should have added .. by my reading you will need a multiple entry visa and you may be refused entry to the first Chinese port of call if you have plans to visit more than one port and only have a single entry visa.

Again, please check how this all applies to NZ'ers. LM

Thanks.  New Zealanders and Aussies seem to have the same requirements for China.

I have tried getting an answer via email to the China embassy but no luck. 

I wanted to get my own opinion, and see if it is the same as travel agent.  At the end of the day if is my responsibility.

Xiamen was added to the list of the 144 hr Visa exempt ports of entry effective 1st January 2019. Therefore, on arrival Xiamen you should be able to apply for the 144 hr Visa exemption, as you arrive from a foreign port (HK is considered foreign port) and you depart for a foreign port.

Not sure if consecutive ports require a multiple entry, as it has been 10 years since we were in China. At that time to go Shanghai, Tianjin, Shanghai the Chinese consulate provided us with multiple entry Visas.

18 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Xiamen was added to the list of the 144 hr Visa exempt ports of entry effective 1st January 2019. Therefore, on arrival Xiamen you should be able to apply for the 144 hr Visa exemption, as you arrive from a foreign port (HK is considered foreign port) and you depart for a foreign port.

Not sure if consecutive ports require a multiple entry, as it has been 10 years since we were in China. At that time to go Shanghai, Tianjin, Shanghai the Chinese consulate provided us with multiple entry Visas.

The Chinese Visa provided by GenVisa for Viking Oceans Inaugural World Cruise is for multiple entries of up to 60 days at a time and the visa is valid for 10 years.  We had two stops in China plus Hong Kong with no entry/exit issues at all.  Hope it works as well for y'all.