Carnival - Southern Caribbean Excursions

TheBees98

Looking for excursions that accomodate an electric wheelchair.  Islands we will be visiting  Grand Turks,  La Romana, Curaco, Aruba,  St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St Kitts, St. Lucia and Barbados.  Generally, my experience is, if I get off the ship I usually cannot find a "taxi" our tour that can load my electric wheelchair. Obviously, I can't do the dare devil exciting activities but like to sight see, shop and do some adventure!!   If easier you can email me.   Thank you   

Mrs. Bee

I cannot help you in regards to tours. However, all the ports are accessible to a certain extent You would experience cobble stones some places and some strange curb cutouts. Also, some of the sidewalks may be too narrow for an electric wheelchair. I use a small scooter and had to back up or get off at random spots. Not enough that it interrupted my trip, just changed my direction.

I have been into all the towns on your list except La Romana, riding my scooter. Some will definitely be easier than others. In Aruba, it is a nice little ride to Wilhelmina Park from the ship. On the way back, one can see the center of town and the shops. Their shopping center is fully accessible, but the small shops along the streets are more interesting.

In St. Maartin, the sidewalk on the southwest side of the street is the best. On the other side, it is rather narrow in spots and has limited places to get on or off.

Grand Turk is away from town. Thus you would require transportation into town. Regardless, there are a lot of shops and things to do at the dock.

I normally look up the port town on google maps, enlarge it enough to identify streets and print out a map of the port town, or at least the general area the ship docks. Using the “print screen” command, one can get a pretty good map. In Bridgetown, Barbados, the dock is approximately ¾ mile from the center of town, so I basically map the town. There is an accessible sidewalk all the way into town.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

• Like 1