Cell Service (2019 Edition)

TechSurfer

I couldn't find any recent threads on it.  

AT&T tells me (I called) that their Global Passport program covers Tahiti (link), but not Moorea or Bora Bora.  Moorea (where we'll also be bungalowing) is Pay-Per-Use even if you have the passport program, at pay-per-use, $3/min calls, $0.50/text, $2.05 per MB data.  But... the agent had to contact "International Support" to get that answer, so I'm not certain anyone was even clear on what Moorea is.  Especially considering I believe the cell service is VINI on all three islands.

The AT&T Cruise program (link) doesn't include Paul Gauguin, which is a bit surprising since I'd thought they were using Maritime.   But this chart from AT&T confirms that the Paul Gauguin supports Pay-Per-Use but not Package.

Does anyone have experience with the AT&T Passport package on Moorea or Bora Bora?  

We have great success using What'sApp when we are traveling.  You HAVE to be connected via wi-fi.  We can send text msgs, pictures, and call.  You might want to research this app.  It has worked for us.  Hope it works for you, too.  BTW, an employee at AT&T recommended this app to me.

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2019 at 4:57 PM, theNJR said:

Thanks for these initial details. Any idea how on-board Wi-Fi is these days? I wonder if you can get by with Wi-Fi calling.

The WiFi on the ship is terrible. We always use wi-if calling, but I hope they do something about the WiFi as this is 2019 and it is as slow or slower than I could imagine 

download was about 3.7. One was .93

upload 8.9

i just checked some past speed tests on board earlier this year. Pretty bad 

Edited by alwaysonaship

I AGREE..the internet was horrible when we were on the ship a few years ago...it would be great if the PG would realize this and upgrade....no excuse from my end.....it’s a small thing that doesn’t cost a lot ( we pay for the service anyway, so we should expect faster speeds). we are back on board in the fall next year...I can only hope....it’s a small thing in the long run since everything else was close to perfect 

I agree that the shipboard Wi-Fi was really bad.  It's not the satellites, but rather their infrastructure; it would drop-out randomly even when not moving, and lots of weak or dead zones.  Bandwidth in some areas was better than others.    

On the bright side, when near land, AT&T's "Passport" really did cover calls and internet in all the islands we visited, despite their cluelessness on the phone.  (See top post.)  

• Thanks 1

Thanks TBK...I understand satellites.....tech surfer is accurate...it’s the infrastructure and systems/ broadband they contract....plenty of room for improvement...I’m more plugged into the sights and sounds, people,  food and locations we go on the PG...but it is 2019

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 9:33 AM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Your not cruising in a area that has 100's of communication satellites  … your in the South Pacific on a small ship in sparsely populated areas 😉

I tend to disagree. All of the islands are pretty up to date, and our post cruise hotel had great internet. I think it is just the company not wanting to spend any money to upgrade. I don’t consider French Polynesia to be isolated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - Tahiti Wi-Fi worked AMAZING. Everyone on the boats Wi-Fi was complaining and we were getting 15-20mbs down and 11 up with almost no interruptions for a lot less than buying the unlimited ship package. 

I’ll post some speed test screenshots in my full review coming soon. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, theNJR said:

Quick update - Tahiti Wi-Fi worked AMAZING. Everyone on the boats Wi-Fi was complaining and we were getting 15-20mbs down and 11 up with almost no interruptions for a lot less than buying the unlimited ship package. 

I’ll post some speed test screenshots in my full review coming soon. 

I am afraid this is a silly question, but we have never been to FP before.  How do I get the Tahiti Wi-Fi?

Thank you

7 hours ago, fount said:

I am afraid this is a silly question, but we have never been to FP before.  How do I get the Tahiti Wi-Fi?

Thank you

31 minutes ago, buffbc said:

https://www.tahitiwifi.com/polynesia.html

I believe they give you a device you carry with you and can access throughout the trip, then you drop it back off when you are leaving.

It seems a bit pricey to me, but then everything in FP seems that way 🙂

That's it! When you exit customs at PPT, turn right and walk a hundred feet and you'll see the car rental places. It's in there with them. Super easy and took less than a minute to get it. 

It's about $15/day which isn't terrible for a service like this, and about half the price of the on board plan. Since the router is battery powered you can throw it in your beach bag when you go on trips which I found helpful when biking around Moorea.