St Thomas beaches and descriptions

blue_water

For the first-timer - and even a return visitor - there are several gorgeous beaches to choose from. There are indeed a ton of opinions about the various beaches, and we too are certainly biased in our rankings. But each beach has a unique or distinctive vibe or setting that can help one choose based on their situation that day. Some are located a short taxi from a port, while some take a little more effort to get to but reward that effort.

The East End beaches of St Thomas are preferred by many who are looking for the nicest beach on STT. These include Coki, Smith's Bay, Sapphire, Secret Harbor, and Cowpet Bay (Coki and Smith's Bay are actually on the north side but are on the east end of the island). But others are also very nice and may work best if you have limited time or just want a nice beach to relax at that is closer to port and may be less crowded. And of course the beaches of St John are also gorgeous and should be experienced when possible. Trunk Bay, like Magens Bay, is highly-touted and so a bit touristy most days, but Cinnamon Bay and others less frequented are also beautiful.

For St Thomas -

Coki Point

is a gorgeous beach set in a very small bay with good snorkeling off the beach. You'll find one of the nicest beaches you've seen here, but it will have a lively vibe as it gets very crowded. Several vendors renting stuff and selling food and drink. Taxis are readily available. We love Coki and find it a very intimate and romantic beach when ships are not in port.

Smith's Bay Park (Lindqvist Beach)

is a beautiful, maintained beach (both Smith's Bay Park and Magens Bay are maintained by the Magens Bay Authority and charge a small entry fee) but is quieter and offers very few amenities. Here you would find natural beauty and relative quiet that you might have expected to see decades ago and not today. Grab your towel and a lunch and drinks and enjoy the beauty while it's still here. There may be chair rentals and portapotties there now, and taxis stop in or you may want to have a taxi return for pick-up.

UPDATE: Cruise lines now offer excursions to Smith Bay (“Secret Sands” excursion) so expect more of your fellow cruisers today.

Sapphire Beach

is a gorgeous beach in a larger bay with natural shade, nice island views and great snorkeling off the beach. There is a reef area, a sandy swimming area, and a sea grass area where turtles and rays may be spotted. Home to 3 condo properties with food and drink options, a beach bar, chair rentals and public restrooms. Day visitors tend to hang near the sandier swimming area where the rental center and other facilities are located, but if a busy day you can find a nice spot away from the crowd. Taxis stop in to pick up folks returning to the ships.

Secret Harbor

is a small bay that is home to one condo property and has a quieter vibe more like Sapphire. The water is very calm at SH so great for toddlers, but there is no shade available to most day visitors. Good snorkeling and a restaurant on site and nice beach though.

Cowpet Bay

is very close to Secret Harbor and is home to the Elysian Resort and other condo resorts with a small beach and snorkeling. Primarily suited to guests of the condo but still a public beach with a beach bar and restrooms. Bring a towel and snorkel gear and enjoy a quieter beach.

Magens Bay

is on the north side and is a deep bay with a a nice, calm beach that's maintained (small entry fee) and is touted as one of the top 10 beaches in the Carib by Frommer's, cruise ships, etc. It has that rating for a reason, and it sees many people and so is touristy. No snorkeling here, and for some folks Magens doesn't have the charm or character some of the other beaches do. But it is a beautiful beach that is great for toddlers and kids because it is so calm, and it offers restrooms, small restaurant, a gift shop and available taxis. You can walk to one end of the Bay to get away from the masses, but no amenities there.

Hull Bay

is another north side beach and home to a beach bar with restrooms. Hull Bay is a more natural beach with no lounges, but you may not see a fellow cruiser there.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) 

is closest to Crown Bay and is a popular beach for folks docking there. A nice enough beach with rentals and food and drinks available at the Emerald Beach Resort and . A convenient option if docked at Crown and Magens and the East End beaches are too much effort.

Honeymoon Beach on Water Island

is another popular destination for folks docked at Crown Bay because the ferry to Water Island is very close. This beach has become very popular however and gets very crowded during the day.

Morningstar Beach

is closest to Havensight and is a popular spot for folks docking there who are looking for a quick beach stop following an excursion or other tour. Home to the Marriott, this beach has been closed since Hurricane Irma, look for updates.

Hopefully not confusing the choices even more! And here's a map showing the beach locations for those not familiar with the island, just click on the map for a larger view -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com..._road_map.html

Edited February 19, 2014 by blue_water

•  
Edited by blue_water
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was wondering if there is a food truck or other food and drink options and restrooms at Brewers today?

Thanks

When the Best Western was affiliated with the Emerald Beach Resort they offered a day pass package to day visitors that included one room, lounges and umbrellas, and drinks. It’s a great option for a family or group to have a room for changing and a shower. Has anyone contacted the current resort to see if that is still an option? Lindbergh Bay is a great option if docked in Crown (or wanting to spend a night near the airport) and you just want a nice beach for part of the day rather than one of the gorgeous beaches or a snorkeling beach.

Regarding HB on WI, the only nice swimming section of beach when we went there was by Dinghy’s, and the lounges were complimentary when we were there. But beware boats that stop in with snorkel groups also anchor there and tend to drift and you have to be very careful when swimming. Heidi’s was also packed. I know many who have enjoyed HB on WI over the years still go here regardless of the crowd because it is their place, we have our places as well that are becoming more and more popular as the cruise population soars...

[EDIT] Meant to ask if the Island Beachcomber is open in Lindbergh Bay? That was our favorite spot in the bay to grab a bite and a drink...

Edited by blue_water

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the info contained in this post-very helpful! We are considering a cruise that docks at Havensight, and does not arrive until 11:30. For that reason, I’m hoping to figure out the most convenient option that is also a nice beach with some amenities. (Last time we docked at Crown Bay and enjoyed Emerald Beach).

We have 2 kids, ages 4 and 6, shade availability is a must, and we would like restrooms and the option to purchase a few drinks. There will be one other ship in port that day arriving much earlier than us if that makes a difference. 

Based on on the above, do you have any thoughts on which Beach would work best for a later arrival? Thanks for any input!

Yes it is a challenge finding a nice spot with the amenities on a late arrival.

My first choice would always be Sapphire, but for shade you may be disappointed arriving that late. However many visitors from other ships will be leaving not long after you arrive, and there is lots of shade along the water a short walk from the main swimming area.

I would also consider Secret Harbor, but only if you can reserve lounges and umbrellas in advance. Otherwise SH would be a bad choice. AA Divers did take reservations from day visitors at one time and you would need to contact them to ask f that is an option, and if so what their cancellation policy is.

https://www.aadivers.com/contact

We’ve not been to Lindqvist recently, last I knew lounges (and drinks?) were available only for passengers booking through the ship (Secret Sands excursion), perhaps someone can answer that...

Edited by blue_water

56 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Yes it is a challenge finding a nice spot with the amenities on a late arrival.

My first choice would always be Sapphire, but for shade you may be disappointed arriving that late. However many visitors from other ships will be leaving not long after you arrive, and there is lots of shade along the water a short walk from the main swimming area.

I would also consider Secret Harbor, but only if you can reserve lounges and umbrellas in advance. Otherwise SH would be a bad choice. AA Divers did take reservations from day visitors at one time and you would need to contact them to ask f that is an option, and if so what their cancellation policy is.

https://www.aadivers.com/contact

We’ve not been to Lindqvist recently, last I knew lounges (and drinks?) were available only for passengers booking through the ship (Secret Sands excursion), perhaps someone can answer that...

Thanks for the input and ideas-much appreciated! 

We loved the happy hour with jerk wings and the rum punch at Iggie’s Beach Bar, hope they get that back open soon. The beach is very pebbly right there by the beach bar and no lounges of course. But it’s great that the Lobster Grill at Bolongo is temporarily catering to visitors as Iggie’s Oasis, and it sounds like you have access to the pool bar as well! Because of the small scale or footprint I can see that becoming a mess as folks learn of it here and from drivers though...

“Because of the small scale or footprint I can see that becoming a mess as folks learn of it here and from drivers though...”

That’s just my initial thought and may be off. And it seems like management would limit the number of day visitors -especially at the pool bar - in order to respect the resort guests. But as with any resort, always a good idea to  contact the resort ahead of time for details to prevent wasting time and being disappointed...

I do understand they want to keep Iggie’s running and keep at least some of the staff working until the bar reopens, which is great! Evenings it would be just locals and land visitors as usual, Iggie’s has always been busy evenings and there is often entertainment and a weekly special. I just think it would be a mess for resort guests with safari taxis dropping day visitors off there and filling up the pool bar...

But just a comment, we will see...

Edited by blue_water

"  I just think it would be a mess for resort guests with safari taxis dropping day visitors off there and filling up the pool bar... "

Well, it is a mess for all the other places that receive day visitors. Let Bolongo pick up some of the overflow.🤣

Lol..that makes a lot of sense...🤔

My point is it sounds crazy to allow unlimited cruise ship passengers into the resort pool bar with paying resort guests. Guessing they have some type of restriction but I inquired because I am curious.

So in regards to the Bolongo Bay Resort, the beach is open to the public, of course, as is the restaurant. We spent time there while staying at Sapphire. I asked about the invitation on their site for patrons of the restaurant to enjoy their pool bar, and the reply was they do get a few locals stopping in to use the beach and eat at the restaurant, but few if any cruise ship passengers. The invite was to let locals and land visitors know Iggie’s is temporarily open in the new location. So with the link that you posted I let them know they may be in for a surprise! 😳

Edited by blue_water

My cruise is docking in Havensight in 3 weeks. Is Morning Star beach open since the hurricane now? All the reports I found are 4-6 months ago. We are also docking late (11:30) and we would like loungers, food, drinks, and nice water and beach. I was originally going to go to Honeymoon beach but, with the ferry only running on the hour, and it taking 30 minutes to get to said ferry, and having to be off the beach by 5pm, that seems like too much rush and not enough beach time. Megan's sounds good but, Morning Star sounds better. What are your thoughts?

17 hours ago, blue_water said:

My point is it sounds crazy to allow unlimited cruise ship passengers into the resort pool bar with paying resort guests.

Yes, and my point is that the other places on St Thomas already get unlimited cruise ship passengers where paying guests (and locals) are frequently not happy to see them. At one time, there were a couple of beaches that were the cruise ship beaches, but now, they go anywhere. Magens and Sapphire are nice big, long beaches that can accommodate many visitors.

As an aside, the increase in tourism has affected many destinations from Venice to the Caribbean.

2 minutes ago, browneyedangel74 said:

My cruise is docking in Havensight in 3 weeks. Is Morning Star beach open since the hurricane now? All the reports I found are 4-6 months ago. We are also docking late (11:30) and we would like loungers, food, drinks, and nice water and beach. I was originally going to go to Honeymoon beach but, with the ferry only running on the hour, and it taking 30 minutes to get to said ferry, and having to be off the beach by 5pm, that seems like too much rush and not enough beach time. Megan's sounds good but, Morning Star sounds better. What are your thoughts?

Morning Star is not open. Are you talking Honeymoon, Water Island or Honeymoon, St John? In the summer, Magens is a great place. It has all your requirements.

1 minute ago, O2B@Cagain said:

Morning Star is not open. Are you talking Honeymoon, Water Island or Honeymoon, St John? In the summer, Magens is a great place. It has all your requirements.

I was talking about Honeymoon, St John but, I will definitely check out Megan's. What about Corki? Is it a good place? Thanks for the info, I appreciate it much!

We'll be docking at Crown Bay in late July.  I believe docking time is 8am so early arrival.  Is it possible (safe) to walk from the port to Emerald Beach?  Are there umbrella for rent or tree shades to put towels underneath?

Prime choice right now is Honeymoon Beach Water Island and early arrival means we can beat the crowd but looking at alternatives just in case.

33 minutes ago, O2B@Cagain said:

Yes, and my point is that the other places on St Thomas already get unlimited cruise ship passengers where paying guests (and locals) are frequently not happy to see them. At one time, there were a couple of beaches that were the cruise ship beaches, but now, they go anywhere. Magens and Sapphire are nice big, long beaches that can accommodate many visitors.

As an aside, the increase in tourism has affected many destinations from Venice to the Caribbean.

Understood, but this is different. The link you posted invites visitors to use the resort facilities (pool bar). That is aimed at locals who normally frequent Iggie’s according to the manager. That is not the case at Sapphire, Secret Harbour, Emerald Resort, or any other resort. The beaches are public but the resort amenities like the pool are private. Just thinking what a mess it would be around the pool...But it sounds like it’s a moot point after talking to the manager there...

Yes, the increase in cruise ship tourism is driving a surge throughout the world, it is most in these small Carib islands.

Thanks!

Edited by blue_water

58 minutes ago, browneyedangel74 said:

See post #9 above...

A response from Courtnie at AA Divers today  regarding reserving lounges and umbrellas...

We do take reservations on beach chairs and umbrellas. Please keep in mind there is a $5 set up fee for every 2 chairs that will need to be in cash upon arrival. We have a changing room here in our store and restrooms next door at the restaurant. If you would like to reserve them please go to www.aadivers.com/reservations and sign up.

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

Follow-up info from Courtnie today regarding reserving lounges and umbrellas and the cancellation policy from AA Divers at the Secret Harbour Resort:

We do take reservations on beach chairs and umbrellas. Please keep in mind there is a $5 set up fee for every 2 chairs that will need to be in cash upon arrival. We have a changing room here in our store and restrooms next door at the restaurant. If you would like to reserve them please go to www.aadivers.com/reservations and sign up.

We do not charge to hold the chairs, we do take a credit card to reserve it but do not charge until the day of, so you will need to bring the physical card at that time. We do have a 24 hour cancellation policy.

So a great way for both early and late arrivals to guarantee lounges/umbrellas on a nice calm beach with a great restaurant, views, and snorkeling options...

• Like 1