Pompano beach hotel

XSYTD

We have stayed in Fort Lauderdale each time before our cruise but will be there  almost 3 days  before, next month.

Since we will have a rental car, we are thinking of staying somewhere different. 

How is the Hampton Inn location in Pompano Beach area? Is it safe? What is the property like?

Any feedback would be helpful!

I live in Pompano Beach.  The Hampton Inn at 900 S Federal Highway (Route 1) is about a year old.  The location is on a 6 lane road and safe although you may be taking your life in your hands if you are crossing the highway.  That portion of the highway, like most of it in south Florida, consists of strip malls, car dealerships, and boat dealerships (and related paraphernalia).  If you want to experience the beach in Pompano, consider the Marriott Resort and the Residence Inn on N. Ocean Blvd (I live right down the block) or the Sands Harbor Resort on the intra-coastal and only 3 blocks from the beach.  There is also a Wyndham Hotel (Sea Gardens on N Ocean Blvd) right on the beach.

Edited by capriccio

I honestly have no idea why you would want to stay in Pompano.  The west side of Pompano is one of the most dangerous areas in the county.  The east side is "ok" but it's pretty much beach front residential (we used to live at PBC).  Very little to do around the beach as again, it's all residential.  Definitely nothing to do for 3 days.  And since you have the car, you won't want to drive to the other side of Pompano as it's either boring strip malls or ghettos.

There are way better places to stay if you want to try something different than Fort Lauderdale.  Hollywood Beach is probably the best vacation/beach area in South Florida.  Lauderdale By The Sea is also really cool but small.  Could even do the upper or middle Keys.

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

What would you recommend they do in Lighthouse Point?

They will have a rental car, as noted in OP's original post giving them access to anything someone would do outside of Lauderdale by the Sea for example.  In both Pompano and Lighthouse Point there are plenty of good restaurants within a 5 - 10 minute drive.  Pompano has a lovely public golf course and large playground area 1 - 1 1/2 miles away from the beach hotels.

For those of you that haven't been to Pompano Beach in the past year or more you will not recognize the public (lifeguard protected) beach area.  The area between the road and the beach was transformed a few years ago with picnic pavilions, small kiddie playground, adult exercise area, splash pad fountain, bike rentals, restrooms, etc. and a public parking garage was added.  Two years ago they started work on 2 beach-side restaurants (Beach House opened last summer, Oceanic looks like it will be next fall or winter) and sometime this summer the rebuilt pier (higher and longer) will be opened.  Future approved plans include a Hilton hotel right on the other side of the beach road and a promenade to the Intra-coastal. 

Edited by capriccio

6 hours ago, capriccio said:

They will have a rental car, as noted in OP's original post giving them access to anything someone would do outside of Lauderdale by the Sea for example.  In both Pompano and Lighthouse Point there are plenty of good restaurants within a 5 - 10 minute drive.  Pompano has a lovely public golf course and large playground area 1 - 1 1/2 miles away from the beach hotels.

For those of you that haven't been to Pompano Beach in the past year or more you will not recognize the public (lifeguard protected) beach area.  The area between the road and the beach was transformed a few years ago with picnic pavilions, small kiddie playground, adult exercise area, splash pad fountain, bike rentals, restrooms, etc. and a public parking garage was added.  Two years ago they started work on 2 beach-side restaurants (Beach House opened last summer, Oceanic looks like it will be next fall or winter) and sometime this summer the rebuilt pier (higher and longer) will be opened.  Future approved plans include a Hilton hotel right on the other side of the beach road and a promenade to the Intra-coastal. 

I love Beach House!  We will sometimes go up there on Sunday nights!  It is such a great addition!  Great food also!

My husband shot an informercial up there on the beach last winter.  It really is a lovely spot.

Edited by BlueHerons

6 hours ago, XSYTD said:

Thanks for all the tips! 

We may just find a nice place in Fort Lauderdale and drive up to Lighthouse Point and the Pompano Beach area to try out a restaurant - maybe even Beach House!

Good idea. Beach House is a pretty cool place. Worth checking out. 

9 hours ago, XSYTD said:

Thanks for all the tips! 

We may just find a nice place in Fort Lauderdale and drive up to Lighthouse Point and the Pompano Beach area to try out a restaurant - maybe even Beach House!

If you are lucky enough to be in the area the one Saturday a month that the Hillsboro Lighthouse is open to the public, I highly recommend the boat ride on the intracoastal and the tour.  The schedule is at http://www.hillsborolighthouse.org/tours

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, BlueHerons said:

I love the Lighthouse Point area.  Pompano reminds me of old Florida.

We have a timeshare in Pompano just a couple doors down from the Marriott.  We go every year during spring break.  This area is uncrowded and unspoiled.  We typically can walk to a few restaurants, but we need a car for groceries.  We have never felt unsafe in this area of Pompano.  Every large city will have areas that are best to be avoided. 

I agree about the new park area, very nice.  Looking forward to many more approvements taking place.