Ship vs Call Center Authority

We've had to do some reshuffling on our upcoming cruise due to one of our party being unable to make the trip. (Not asking in our Roll call because I see this a pertinent to NCL in general) We moved the "free" 4th person (minor)  in our Mini-suite to the inside room of our pair, following discussion with the call center rep regarding the best way to make this shuffle without penalty. So we're satisfied there.

But when we get on board, we're hoping to be able to move my wife and myself to the inside room and my adult daughter to the mini-suite along with the minor we just moved. (That way the sisters and the best friend can have room together and we can have a private room.) Is this something that's within the authority of ship's personnel to do, since it basically just involves means reprogramming the swipe strip on our cruise card? It was not something the call center could do because it invloved a name change in the person who booked each room.

If it can't be done it no big deal to us, just more inconvenient because we'll have to coordinate swapping ship cards around from sleep/room time to any activity that requires the card. But I'm hoping, since they can move people room to room due to other issues, the ship personnel can also accommodate this request.

We had a similar situation recently, where my stepson was booked in a room with my cousin for financial reasons, but in reality would be staying with my husband and myself. Once we boarded, we just got him a "room key only" card, so he was able to access our room. For charging purposes, though, he still had to use the card for his original room. You will also want to mention the switch to your room steward, so the bedding gets setup correctly.

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I can't imagine why you can't. As shof15 said, just talk to the desk when you get on board or maybe even when you check in 

Go to the Guest Services on board, do not do that at the check in in the terminal.

There will be no problem families with more than allowed in a room frequently put the people where they need to go.  Just make sure you have correct keys. Hopefully the rooms are close together.  We once did a cruise with 11 people and 3 rooms...the grandkids took turns staying with the parents and us...🤗

21 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Go to the Guest Services on board, do not do that at the check in in the terminal.

you are probably right. I said at the terminal because that is where the keys are originally printed but think your idea is probably much better. 

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

you are probably right. I said at the terminal because that is where the keys are originally printed but think your idea is probably much better. 

the terminal works do not print keys. Usually the night before or early morning, the guest services folks print the keys on board the ship. After it is printed, they are organized in bins/boxes and then handled to the terminal works for distribution during check in process.