Question about Star Pride Itinerary

Grayboots

So, I have been tracking Star Pride's Itinerary using cruisemapper.com from Barcelona to Rome for the April 20th sailing and noticed that some of the ports are different than what was presented.  For example, instead of sailing to Sanary sur Mer, I believe they went to Marseille.  And they docked in Nice for 2 days instead of Cannes and Monte Carlo.  Is this typical?  If so, how do you plan shore excursions outside of Windstar to coincide with the itinerary changes?  Or, am I not understanding things correctly.  Also, looking at the Star Prides itineraries, it seems there is a gap from April 28th to May 4th.  I know they already went into dry dock recently, so could this be a private charter?

I was looking at the weather for those days and I suspect there were strong winds coming from the north, which in both cases prevented them from running tenders.  It’s unfortunate but more likely to happen in the early or later part of the European cruising season (April to November).  Despite the changes in port, they more than likely could run some similar excursions as distances are probably not too long.  As for the gap in scheduling, more than likely a charter.  Happy sailing

10 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

I was looking at the weather for those days and I suspect there were strong winds coming from the north, which in both cases prevented them from running tenders.  It’s unfortunate but more likely to happen in the early or later part of the European cruising season (April to November).  Despite the changes in port, they more than likely could run some similar excursions as distances are probably not too long.  As for the gap in scheduling, more than likely a charter.  Happy sailing

Thank you for responding.  That makes sense.  I am so excited for our first time on a Windstar cruise!!!

In my experience, when WS changes ports it's usually been an alternation that's fairly close to the original, and the WS tours just start from the new port. Of the above, Marseilles to Sanary sur Mer is about an hour, the others just over half an hour. We did this in Majorca and also in Italy, and we completely missed Porto and a stop in Japan. In those cases, any WS excursions are refunded and sometimes they'll take off the port charge since you didn't go there!

When we stopped in Milos instead of Santorini WS quickly arranged some alternative tours and publicized them. Milos turned out to be a fabulous stop.

If you're touring on your own, it's really on you to make plans, which is one reason I make sure I have a phone with me. Some operators will refund your money, in some cases their policy is clear upfront about that. For short distance differences they may pick you up at the new port. It just depends.

Exactly.  We had several port changes last fall, due to some very stormy weather in the Med (which just crushed Portofino). I kept in touch with our tour operators.  One tour we just couldn't make because we diverted to Sicily and the refund for this "force majure" itinerary change was in my cc account before the day was over.  One other stop was near enough to the planned port that we were able to work it out with the tour operator.  A phone is really essential in these cases.  Just be clear with the tour operator when you book the tour what the cancellation charges will be if the ship doesn't make port.

In the early spring and late fall the Med. can be like the North Atlantic rough, lots of rock and roll. My experience with WS is safety first, therefore the port changes. They do their best to try and make it work out. Of course with some people trying hard is not enough. I have experienced in the Med the rock and roll and waters smooth as ice. I wish you smooth sailing. 

1 hour ago, Strenz said:

In the early spring and late fall the Med. can be like the North Atlantic rough, lots of rock and roll. My experience with WS is safety first, therefore the port changes. They do their best to try and make it work out. Of course with some people trying hard is not enough. I have experienced in the Med the rock and roll and waters smooth as ice. I wish you smooth sailing. 

Thank You!  We are sailing in late May.  Hoping the waters are not too rocking and rolling.  Maybe we should bring some extra Dramamine just in case.  

Hi, The ship provides Dramamine outside the doctor’s office. Bring wrist bands and ear patches just for insurance, I would bring Dramamine just in case non drowsy, nothing grimmer than being sea sick when you want to have a glorious time.  Our friend who goes on WS trips with us, from Sweden and her husband is an avid sailor, she has been  sea sick her entire married life, but not on the Surf, I carry everything for her just in case. Her husband is so thrilled she does not get sick on the Surf. Smooth, glorious sailing to you. 

( I am one of the lucky ones, sailing in the North Atlantic ( Massachusetts coast )  my entire life never sea sick, never in the Med. the North Sea a different story, we are all different.)

We had itinerary changes in the Med due to weather. One tour operator picked us up elsewhere, the other gave us a refund as we buy a "cancel for any reason" plan. As for sea sickness,  each person is so different.  I suggest prevention with dramamine about 4 hours before sailing. Generally after 24 hours the body adjusts to motion unless the seas are awful. Moderate alcohol and greasy food intake too! We have been on all of the motor ships and you will love the itinerary.