Misleading Pricing on Last Minute Alaska Voyages

ptrpanpens

Can someone please explain why the prices showing on the website for last minute Alaska cruises , some with solo occupancy deals, are way more than they are showing online when priced out by Azamara reps? Every last minute Alaska deal is at least twice what it should be according to the web site page when I call and ask Azamara to price directly. I also encountered this issue when trying to book Alaska onboard. 

Fir instance, a cruise that advertises $1,199 pp with a 25% single occupancy should not end up being priced out at over $4,000. This happened consistently with all the Alaska cruises for May and June when I called AZ to price them and the rep didn’t know why. There were still plenty of cabins available too. 

What gives here? This is very bad PR for Azamara IMO.

Bonnie (or anyone) can you try to find out the problem? I have noticed it with other cruises but most consistently with last minute Alaska Cruises.

Maybe the lead in price per person of $1,199pp is based upon two sharing a guarantee (where the cruiseline allocate the cabin), but solo travellers in most cases can’t book a guarantee and therefore you have to pay for an allocated cabin.  I can’t even get into the US booking engine to do a dummy booking and see, so that is only a guess, but I’ve been caught out by this before.

Phil

39 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Maybe the lead in price per person of $1,199pp is based upon two sharing a guarantee (where the cruiseline allocate the cabin), but solo travellers in most cases can’t book a guarantee and therefore you have to pay for an allocated cabin.  I can’t even get into the US booking engine to do a dummy booking and see, so that is only a guess, but I’ve been caught out by this before.

Phil

Thank you Phil. I thought about that too and have had that issue before but this is not the case here. The cabins are specific not guarantees. I tried a few days ago when I was onboard Pursuit and the same thing happened. Even the future cruise manager was puzzled and promised to notify AZ but who knows if he did? Anyway today the same thing happened when I called AZ and the agent didn’t know why either. So hopefully she brought the attention to someone higher up.

it is really irritating especially when the prices are posted really cheap with a 125% supplement on some of them. I have not been to Alaska even though I live in LA and hoped to get a great deal of the prices were accurate. No such luck..

thanks for your help

anne

Thank you Bonnie. No one has been able to figure it out yet that I spoke to. And with that going on, no wonder they have so many empty cabins. The reps dont even catch the fact that the prices they are seeing do not make sense given the posted prices on the web site. It seems like it should immediately jump out at them that $1,199 plus a 25% single supplement should not come out to over $4,000 even with high port taxes. 

anne