How long does it take to disembark and get to train station in Civi?

mickeyfanz

Hi-

Following our NCL Pearl cruise, we plan to take a train to Naples. I can't get a feel for what time to schedule the train because I have no idea how long it will take me to get to Rome Termini after I disembark.

We would like to have one last breakfast on the ship before we leave. I know once I can get to the Civi train station, I will be okay but I can't figure out how long it will take me to get off the ship and then how to get to the train station. It seems that you can walk but we have 7 people (including my senior citizen parents) so I don't think that will happen with luggage. Something I read made it sound like taxis only want to take you to Rome or the airport and not to the train statin? Is this true?

I am hoping there is just a taxi that can take us but does anyone know if I need to schedule a shuttle to just take us to the Civi train station or did you ride a bus or what?

Any advice appreciated so I can figure out when I can book the train trips.

Thanks so much!

Most common way of doing this is as follows:

First you will collect your luggage (if not disembarking with it).  Then you will board one of the FREE port-operated shuttles that service all of the ships to take you to the main port entrance at Largo della Pace.  Shuttle operation is timed to the arrival and departure of the ships, however, you may have to wait a few minutes for the shuttle to fill up somewhat before it leaves.

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles

At Largo della Pace, you'll get off the shuttle.

Here in this area you can buy a ticket for and board a special city bus that exists mainly to take passengers to the train station. The cost is 2 euro per person and these buses run about every 10 minutes. It is only a short ride to the train station and in fact it is about 20 minutes' walk on foot from Largo della Pace, but in my opinion it is not so easy for seniors managing luggage to do it.

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/civitavecchia-train-station

Once at the train station, it is possible that you will have to walk down one flight of stairs and up another to reach your platform where you'll board your train. Something to keep in mind. With a large party, someone can watch the bags while those in better physical shape schlep them up and down the stairs. There is no elevator.

In total, I would allow a minimum of 30 minutes to complete this process, since the wait times are not in your control. (In fact, I usually allow 45 minutes but I'd rather be early than sweating whether I'll make my train...)

If your tickets are on a regionale train (e.g., not one of the fast trains with reserved seats) don't forget to validate your tickets.

With seven people, and two of them seniors, I would seriously consider paying for a transfer that will pick you up at the ship and drop you at Termini station in Rome.  It's hard to describe the difficulties and chaos of moving that many people and their stuff up and down stairs, in and out of buses, on and off multiple trains.  Also remember that if you use a regional train to Rome, the most common, you have a three block walk from the regional tracks to the main track head at Termini.

I would focus on buying deeply discounted tickets for the Rome to Naples segment and use those savings to pay for the transfer service.

Cruise Mom and Euro Cruiser did a great job providing all the details (we would allow for 45 min).  But I was curious what a transfer from the port to Termini might cost, so I looked at my favorite transfer company (RomeCabs) and they quote 190€.  Keep in mind that would be from the pier to the train station.  At a cost of about 30€ per person (for 7) this sure would be a great option :).  While we do like using the train, trying to keep a party of 7 together and handling all the luggage sounds like it could be a hassle (with some of the groups we know it would be like herding cats).

Hank

P.S.  If you do decide to hire a transfer company make sure to give them an idea of the amount of luggage your party will be hauling so they provide a vehicle that can handle passengers plus luggage.  Too much luggage would likely require a 2nd vehicle (and more money).

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I was curious what a transfer from the port to Termini might cost, so I looked at my favorite transfer company (RomeCabs) and they quote 190€.  Keep in mind that would be from the pier to the train station.  At a cost of about 30€ per person (for 7) this sure would be a great option :).

Thanks for the additional data point Hank.  With this we can make a better comparison.

The least expensive option costs just 4,60 euro (the train fare from Civitavecchia to Termini) but involves significant walking, with luggage, at both ends (one mile from the port to the train station in Civitavecchia and another four-tenths of a mile from the regional tracks to the main tracks at Termini).

You can eliminate the mile walk in Civitavecchia by adding a 2 euro bus ride, but that also entails getting all of the luggage onto and off of the bus.

At this point you are contrasting 6,60 euro per person vs. 30 but you still have a lot of complications.

You could eliminate the four-tenths of a mile walk at Termini by taking a Frecce train from Civitavecchia.  This has the added benefit of assigned seats (the regional train may require you to stand for all or part of the trip) but costs 16 euro, so now the contrast would be 18 euro per person vs. 30.

So, making it as easy as possible on yourself and your family costs you an additional 12 euro per person.  For this you eliminate the following:  loading luggage and people on and off the port shuttle bus, loading luggage and people on and off the local bus from the port to the Civitavecchia station, potentially getting everyone and everything down a full flight of stairs at the station and up another full flight to your track, loading luggage and people on and off the train and possibly standing for all or part of the one hour journey to Rome.

I would make that 12 euro trade off all day, every day, as one who has traveled extensively with a large family including elderly and physically challenged members.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

So our final destination is Vico Equense which is the town just before Sorrento. We are staying there for 3 more nights after our cruise. With all of this hassle would it just be better to rent a van and drive down? We are going to need to get back to the Rome FCO airport anyway.