Snorkeling gear

bnbeyer

I'm taking my family on a southern Caribbean cruise in June to St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas. I'm thinking 3 or 4 of those days will be beach days and that we will want to snorkel. I've seen that you can buy snorkeling gear as a gift on the cruise website for $30. Do you know if those are any good? (link below) I don't like the idea of packing snorkeling gear or even buying it since we live in Iowa and will likely not use it again. But I also don't like the idea of paying rental prices to the total cost of 3 or 4 times the cost they would be new, and I'm unsure if there is gear available at all of the beaches.

Any recommendations?

https://www.carnival.com/FunShops/item/ZNQ/carnival-adventures-adult-snorkel-set

My advice is to make sure you get a "dry snorkel".  In case waves crash over your head, you don't want to inhale water.  That snorkel appears to be, but the description does not specify it is a dry snorkel.

Are you sure the excursion does not include the equipment?  I admit I have never snorkeled in any of these islands, but I have snorkeled and scuba dived in several other places and the snorkeling trips always included the equipment.  I assume you know what you are talking about since you quoted the rental price, but just in case 😃

Generally, if you are buying this stuff on the boat, in the cruise port, or renting it, you aren't getting the top of the line stuff at the best price. 

I got a nice face mask that doesn't fog that I bought online. Personally, I hate the thought of carrying it around. I've even left it at home at times. I'll tell you what, when I'm at a decent snorkeling spot, with my gear, I am always damn glad I have it.

I bought a good mask that fits and snorkel with a purge valve from a local dive shop. They do not take much room when packing and if they are properly cleaned (washed with fresh water) and stored away from light will last many years. The advantage of buying the mask in particular is proper fit. There are many different face shapes and sizes. An ill fitting mask makes for a miserable experience. The snorkel purge valve allows for removing any water build up without having to remove the snorkel.

If you want to snorkel on your own, buy your own mask and snorkel and get something decent. (I would not buy fins as you can snorkel without them and they really take up a lot of luggage space.)  Poor snorkel gear, e.g. a leaky mask, makes for a miserable experience so you want to buy something good. 

If you are taking snorkeling excursions, all the gear will be provided and there’s no need to take your own.  I’ve taken lots of snorkel excursions around the world and rarely, if ever,  has the gear on the excursions been poor.  

Hi Bnbeyer

Welcome to cruise critic.

I am not sure if I am understanding this right. Bear with me. 

You are considering buying snorkel equipment for ?each member of your family. You say that it is possible the equipment will never be used again. I take it none of you have done this before. Does everyone swim well? I ask this only because if they are going snorkeling and aren't confident/strong swimmers, they should also wear a life vest. Some people just don't like snorkeling.

All the islands you are visiting have very good snorkeling but not all beaches are good for snorkeling. Also, some beaches where you can go snorkeling, you don't necessarily need snorkel equipment to see the fishes. Maybe all you need are a good pair of swim goggles which you can find at any Walmart. I personally wouldn't opt for the sets sold on the cruise ship. 

As others have said, if you go on a "snorkeling excursion" they will provide all equipment including life vest if necessary. An organized excursion would be a good way to see the interest level and determine if purchasing other personal equipment is warranted. I don't live anywhere near a beach either, but my equipment is well used and almost always in my suitcase ready to go. 😁

This site has an excellent "port of calls" section. If you haven't seen it, look down the "main forums" page. It has links for each of the island stops you are going to. on those threads look and ask about which beaches are best for snorkeling as opposed to just a nice beach day. You will also find suggestions for reliable tour operators. You would also be able to ask which beaches had equipment available for rent, along with much more. As I said an excellent way to get information for each of the islands you are stopping at.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Thank you for the feedback!

Just FYI about the family - There are 2 adult sons with their spouses in 2 cabins and then me and my husband and the 17 y/o son in our suite cabin. I'm excited about snorkling, and I'm confident my husband and 17 y/o will enjoy it, but I don't know about the adult kids. If I do buy any gear, I think it'll just be for the 3 of us in my cabin. The adult kids can buy their own. I've already bought their airplane and cruise tickets and bubbles drink packages. One adult son is broke and the other isn't, and I've been trying to be fair to buy for all when worried about the broke son, but enough is enough!

Regarding shore excursions, I'm going to avoid them for the most part. After reading Mitsugirly's and some other reviews of that itinerary, I'm planning the Boatyard in Barbados (which probably does include gear for the short swim time with the turtles), the shipwreck beach in St. Kitt's by taxi, Coki or Lindquist beach by taxi in St.Thomas, Joulsie Beach by taxi in St. Lucia, and the Flying Dutchman zip line excursion in St. Maarten. 

I don't know the price of rental gear or even if it is available at shipwreck beach, Coki/Lindquist, or Joulsie, but I imagine 3 rentals will be more than the $30 charge for the ones the ship is offering. I don't know if they are good quality though. 

So excited about this cruise!  We spent a lot of money on excursions on our Alaska cruises in the past, but on this trip I really just want to enjoy the beaches and the one zipline excursion that my not-broke-son is buying as our Christmas gift. We're also going on a kayak tour of the bioluminiscent bay in San Juan because that's a bucket list thing. I hope we have better luck than Mitsugirly did....