Planning: BUR, Universal day, San Pedro cruise?

quercus alba

Thinking ahead to NCL Joy Mexican Riviera cruise next winter. Two sons, ages 17 & 14--have been to Disney (FL) twice.

Does it make sense to fly into BUR on Fri & Sat nite, stay in that area, do Harry Potter stuff Saturday, and Uber/Lyft down to Long Beach on Sunday?
(Would then need to get directly back to BUR after disembark the following weekend, too, I suppose. Sunday traffic less of an issue I hope, coming and going?)

Are there obvious alternatives I'm missing? Things I should think about differently with this plan? Totally out to lunch?

Educate me, oh Great Hive of Knowledge!

Maybe price out one way flight tickets? Some USA airlines actually have better prices that way.

Fly into BUR and out of LAX which is closer to the cruise port.

When I fly from San Diego to NYC I often book 2 one way tickets and sometimes on different airlines to get the best itinerary and price.

Your plan makes a lot of sense....but, I'll second what Riff said--see if you can ticket it into BUR and out of LAX.  Some airlines will have good rates as two one-way tickets...others (like Southwest) price it that way no matter how you do it.  Lots of websites allow you to look for prices "including nearby airports"--so you can choose your two flights using the different airports.

It sounds like you won't have a rental car--so you might want to look for a hotel right on the property at Universal (the Hilton or the Sheraton.  There are some cheaper hotels along Ventura Blvd. across the 101 and near the Metro station--but I don't know any of them well enough to recommend them)...but, if you book a hotel nearby, you may want to call and ask if they provide a free shuttle to Universal.  The park is in the hills and not that walkable from hotels other than the Hilton or the Sheraton...Though Universal does provide a shuttle from the Metro Station at the bottom of the hill:

https://www.citywalkhollywood.com/Visit/Directions-Transportation/

There are lots of places to eat at the Universal Citywalk just outside the park (Tony Roma's, Hard Rock Cafe, Buca di Beppo, Margaritaville, Johnny Rockets and more.  Across the freeway on Ventura, there's a great traditional Italian restaurant with singing waiters--Miceli's--a local "institution"...

And, yes, your ship will depart from San Pedro--NOT Long Beach--make sure your Uber driver knows you are going to the "World Cruise Center--San Pedro"...

• Like 1

Thanks all. 

(And yes, I know that NCL leaves from San Pedro--as specified in my subject line. Just attribute the gaffe in my OP to my Midwest-centric views. Could I take a bus to see the Golden Gate bridge before we embark? I mean, California, right? 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quercus alba said:

Could I take a bus to see the Golden Gate bridge before we embark? I mean, California, right? 😎

The subway is probably easier.....

As to Universal... if you've been to Universal Orlando, Universal Hollywood is a huge let down. WWOHP is about all USH has going for it. That takes all of three hours.

Not sure your exact dates, but if your sons are thrill junkies you could rent a car at BUR for two days, go to Six Flags Magic Mountain and then return the car to BUR and Uber to the port. SFMM has more roller coasters then every park in Orlando combined.

Or you could fly into SNA, rent a car for a couple of days and visit Knott's Berry Farm, also good for thrill junkies and a beach town like Huntington Beach, Newport Beach and/or Laguna Beach. Same drill, return car to SNA then Uber to San Pedro.

OR......  fly into LGB, visit the Aquarium of the Pacific, USS Iowa (San Pedro) and enjoy the sights in that area.

AND to throw one more wrench into the works....  You could fly into SNA, LGB, LAX and go to Disneyland, which will have Star Wars Galaxy's Edge open by then (opens in a few weeks). It won't open in Orlando until late August.

Actually you could take Bolt Bus to San Francisco to see The GGB.  

Could rent a car as its about a 6 hour drive up. 😁

We're Angelenos.  We think nothing of hopping into our cars for lunch in SF.  Did that several times in College.