The best place to connect when flying home to MIA

bbtondo

On 5/2/2019 at 10:36 AM, slidergirl said:

The OP would have to go the route of booking through an OTA, like Expedia.  I've had to do that before when I had to do a mix of Delta and United flights to get to/from where I needed...  

The OP said she is working with a TA.  The vast majority of legacy airlines interline with most legacy airlines.  Here TA should be able to do this booking onto one ticket.  

Edited by em-sk

26 minutes ago, em-sk said:

The OP said she is working with a TA.  The vast majority of legacy airlines interline with most legacy airlines.  Here TA should be able to do this booking onto one ticket. 

There you go...making the assumption that their cruise TA actually knows something about air travel and booking tickets apart from a cruiseline air department.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, em-sk said:
On 5/3/2019 at 1:36 AM, slidergirl said:

The OP would have to go the route of booking through an OTA, like Expedia.  I've had to do that before when I had to do a mix of Delta and United flights to get to/from where I needed...  

There's a more fundamental problem with this than the question of the TA's competence.

If the idea is to book (say) Delta in one direction and United in the other direction, the question is not whether the airlines will "interline". In this context, interlining only really applies to connections, and this would not be a connection. So interlining really has nothing to do with this.

The first question is actually whether Delta fares will combine with United fares on a half round-trip basis, ie can you pay half the Delta round-trip fare for the outbound half, and half the United round-trip fare for the inbound half. If the airlines don't work together, the answer to that may well be no.

Second, even if the answer is yes, it won't necessarily apply to all fares. So you may find that it is possible to do this, but only at fares that will make your eyes water.

If you're flying on routes on which fares are (or can be) priced as one-way fares, then it can be easier to combine one-way fares on to one ticket even if the airlines don't work together. But in that event, it may be unnecessary to put all the fares onto one ticket anyway. However, that's unlikely to apply to the trans-Atlantic routes in question here.

The reason why an OTA may be able to do something like this if a traditional TA can't is that OTAs sometimes have negotiated special fares that either can be sold on a one-way basis or can be combined with unrelated fares on a half round-trip basis. But there's no easy rule about this: you just have to try it and see.