Snorkeling in Bermuda

starfish216

Our cruise ship is docking overnight at the Royal Naval Yard in June. We want to visit the other end of Bermuda on the day we arrive (9 AM) and would like to snorkel.  I figured if we go this day we don't have to worry about watching the clock to get back to the ship. I read that there is snorkeling at Tobacco Bay, how is the snorkeling there and what is the best way to get there?  Is there any other must see things in the area also? Are the caves close by?

We have been to Bermuda a couple of times but only for the day, so we have already explored and snorkeled in the area surrounding the Naval Dock Yard.

Thanks

Snorkeling at Tobacco Bay isn't really good. It's a big open beach so there's not much to see. There is a little small cove area, but it's small and usually filled with little kids.

For good snorkeling I'd recommend going to Jobson's Cove. It's really never crowded and there are loads of fish, including some pretty huge Parrot Fish that come to eat algae off the rocks. If you get tired of snorkeling in the cove, you can go over to Warwick Long Bay which is on the other side of the cove and play in the surf. There are no lifeguards or facilities aside from bathrooms.

1 hour ago, starfish216 said:

Our cruise ship is docking overnight at the Royal Naval Yard in June. We want to visit the other end of Bermuda on the day we arrive (9 AM) and would like to snorkel.  I figured if we go this day we don't have to worry about watching the clock to get back to the ship. I read that there is snorkeling at Tobacco Bay, how is the snorkeling there and what is the best way to get there?  Is there any other must see things in the area also? Are the caves close by?

Snorkeling at Tobacco Bay is decent. Off to the right there is corel and lots of fish, often large Parrot Fish. If you are going on a weekday the best way to get there is the ferry to St. George's then a 15 minute walk. Or you can take a short cab ride from the ferry dock. 

St.George's is a must visit in my opinion on one of your Bermuda visits. It is a World Heritage Site. Also of interest is the Unfinished Church and Fort St. Catherine. Also St. Peters Church and the Perfumery. If you can get there by noon, between starting at 12 and ending at 12:30 is the ducking of the wench.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richg35 said:

Snorkeling at Tobacco Bay isn't really good. It's a big open beach so there's not much to see. There is a little small cove area, but it's small and usually filled with little kids.

Your description sounds like Horseshoe Bay, not Tobacco Bay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richg35 said:

Tobacco Bay is not a big open beach. I would not call it open. It is not that big either.

1 (9).jpg

Edited by Charles4515

16 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Your description sounds like Horseshoe Bay, not Tobacco Bay. 

Yes, his description does sound like Horseshoe Bay, not Tobacco Bay. The small cove area with little kids sounds like what many call the baby beach area at Horseshoe Bay. 

46 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Snorkeling at Tobacco Bay is decent. Off to the right there is corel and lots of fish, often large Parrot Fish. If you are going on a weekday the best way to get there is the ferry to St. George's then a 15 minute walk. Or you can take a short cab ride from the ferry dock. 

St.George's is a must visit in my opinion on one of your Bermuda visits. It is a World Heritage Site. Also of interest is the Unfinished Church and Fort St. Catherine. Also St. Peters Church and the Perfumery. If you can get there by noon, between starting at 12 and ending at 12:30 is the ducking of the wench.

Thank you.  On our first visit to Bermuda we hired a private driver for the day and he gave us the whole island tour but as expected our stops were short and limited. We did indeed see the ducking of the wench and I remember there being a small church near by.   All our other visits we have stayed near the dock. But this trip the ship will be staying overnight and we would like to explore Hamilton and St. George area on our own.

We are arriving on a Monday morning so I will look into the ferry schedule.

Your information is useful thank you for responding.

Yes, sorry I don't know why I confused Tobacco Bay with Horseshoe Bay.

Tobacco Bay is small and gets crowded. There's some things to see out by the rocks, but honestly I didn't think it was that great and Jobson's Cove was much more interesting for snorkeling. Tobacco Bay is one of my least favorite beaches on Bermuda.

Edited by richg35