Haines to Skagway ferry

Katie52

Why not enjoy Haines while you are there.  We took the ferry from Skagway  to Haines a few years ago to visit the Eagle Preserve in Haines.  The morning was so foggy we couldn’t see anything on the ferry ride.  Haines is an interesting community and there are several excursions you can do or just walk around.  Skagway will probably be very crowded with numerous ships in port.

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 1

How enjoyable the ferry ride is, and how much you see, will be weather-dependent.  The ferry is also used to get people taking Shorex excursions from Haines to Skagway, and return.  They have a no-refund policy if you reserve and pay in advance.  My advice would be to contact them, and see if they think you'd be able to get a walk-up seat the day you are in Haines.  And if do take the ferry as a walk-up, buy your return ticket, too, once you are on it!

http://www.hainesskagwayfastferry.com/contact.html

Having said that, Haines is a funky little town where you will be welcomed with open arms.  We enjoyed our day there, and met many lovely locals (even a few who tried to recruit us to move there 🙂 )  It reminded me of other ports in Alaska, before Alaska became such a popular cruise destination.

As my wife says too often, the ferry is fun on the way over, and boring on the way back. 🙂

The reality is this: if your cruise ship docked in Skagway, "you've already seen the view" and you're going to see it again. If the perspective of being lower to the water's surface is worthwhile to you, go for the ferry, otherwise I might keep shopping for other ideas (or do it if there's something you'd like to see/do in Haines). If your ship went to Haines instead, then the ferry could be more fun.

We had beautiful weather in May 17 when we took the ferry from Skagway to Haines for a rafting excursion thru the Eagle preserve (didn’t see any!) but the scenery from the ferry was just gorgeous. I enjoyed it a lot. 

We looked at tickets but none were available to reserve online for the day we were in Haines (Sept 2018). We enjoyed Haines, didn't do a lot ;-) But we've been to Skagway before as well so didn't feel it was a huge loss. But I really didn't expect the tix to be sold out. Live and learn ;-)