Renting a Fridge on the Veendam

Rickster50

We are cruising to the Caribbean on the Veendam later this year and have booked an Oceanview cabin. Apparently there were no balcony cabins available when we booked back in January.

I was wondering whether anybody has rented a fridge in this type of cabin. I gather space may be a problem.

Cheers

Rick

Yes I have rented them on Veendam, Maasdam, and Volendamon in OV cabins. Best to call and reserve before your cruise, or at very least go straight to front desk when you board to request one - they have a limited number. I had them put it in the "corner" of the desktop (next to the closet).  Yes, that left less countertop room, but it didn't really affect the quality of life in the cabin IMO (as much as not having a fridge would have! :)) Keep in mind they don't get super-cold, but they served the purpose.  OV cabins on Veendam don't have a mini-bar (obviously, since no fridge), but they will supply you with a few soft drinks and bottled water which serve as your "mini-bar".  You can request the ones you like the best, and stash them in the fridge, OR you can tell them you decline mini-bar services by telling your cabin steward, in which case whatever cans of soda were there when you boarded you can ask to have removed from the cabin.  

Edited by Moriah

We just got off the Volendam today.  Our OV cabin did not have a refrigerator.  We brought a small round canvas cooler that we received once as a promotional item when we bought a bucket of beer.  It's a nice little cooler.  Re placed it on the silver tray for the little ice bucket, and moved the ice bucket.  The stewards kept it full of ice every day.  We stored water and soda in it.  It was better than a fridge, everything was always ice cold.  Bring a little cooler.

• Like 1

We rented a fridge ahead of time for our trip on the Zaandam next Saturday (ocean view cabin). It costs $2/day to rent.  We called ahead to ship services to make the reservation. On the Veendam last year, we had the same overview cabin and did not know there wasn’t a fridge until we got to our stateroom. I went directly to guest services to rent one.

We bring a 6-pack of diet coke.  The plastic bottles are very strong and so are the caps.  We refill them with water and place them in the cooler.  We always had cold water, and took a few bottles everyday in hot ports.  The cooler and the bottles worked out really well.