Koningsdam SB aft.

I had one on 7 and I did not think it was great. The shower was very small, smaller than a standard phone booth. And there's no shower over the tub, so we were stuck with the tiny one. Other than that, the room and wrap-around balcony were fine. Instead of a sofa, there was a sort of lounge sofa. It turned out to be more comfortable than it looked, but the TV was right over it, so it couldn't be used for watching TV. I liked the layout of the SA on the side better, but of course that didn't have the wrap balcony. 

L1020217.JPG

L1020223.JPG

On 5/9/2019 at 8:17 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I had one on 7 and I did not think it was great. The shower was very small, smaller than a standard phone booth. And there's no shower over the tub, so we were stuck with the tiny one. Other than that, the room and wrap-around balcony were fine. Instead of a sofa, there was a sort of lounge sofa. It turned out to be more comfortable than it looked, but the TV was right over it, so it couldn't be used for watching TV. I liked the layout of the SA on the side better, but of course that didn't have the wrap balcony. 

L1020217.JPG

L1020223.JPG

Thank you for the info and the photos! They’re more helpful than others I had seen on HALFacts. We’ve booked one of the corners on 4 that appear to have the larger balconies. We just booked now for this summer so options were limited but they had a corner Aft NS on 4 and an adjacent VS for others in our family so we’ve booked those two rooms and hope to enjoy the big balcony. I guess we’ll be taking very quick showers in the tiny phone booth! Thank you for the heads up on the showers and sofa configuration; it’s good to go in with realistic expectations. 

On 5/8/2019 at 11:43 PM, CruiserBruce said:

We had one on the 7th deck. Ours was great. The 4th deck has the biggest balcony, but can't tell you about the size of the cabin. 5th deck had average balcony,  but small cabin.

Hi Bruce, was the layout of yours similar to the photos posted by 3rdGenCunarder? We’re booked on a corner aft Neptune on 4  for July so we’re hoping for a great balcony but we’ve heard the shower and toilet set up aren’t terrific generally on this ship.  Any Koningsdam tips you might want to share?  It will be our first time on this ship so we’re grateful for any advice 🙂 

1 hour ago, Cheekyrn1 said:

Those cabins look smaller than other SB cabins on some of the other ships. We had one on the eurodam and I think oosterdam...they were huge compared to the above photo

Aft Neptune cabins are typically a little smaller,  but have bigger balconies. The picture is a little deceptive...not showing the space behind where the pic is taken from. But probably a little smaller than standard Neptune. 

1 hour ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

Hi Bruce, was the layout of yours similar to the photos posted by 3rdGenCunarder? We’re booked on a corner aft Neptune on 4  for July so we’re hoping for a great balcony but we’ve heard the shower and toilet set up aren’t terrific generally on this ship.  Any Koningsdam tips you might want to share?  It will be our first time on this ship so we’re grateful for any advice 🙂 

We had no issues with the size of the bathroom,  but noticing 3rdGenCunarder is using a chair in the shower, which is definitely going to shrink the size of the shower.

We really liked the KDam. Best entertainment in the HAL fleet...maybe better now on N. Statendam. Liked most of the new food options. Thought it a very nice advance in HAL design.

Was it perfect? No, of course not. As others have mentioned, the cabanas are small. The dining room has a poor color orientation. The Promenade Deck is small. But not of those ruined our cruise or even dented it. We would sail on KDam again, no question, no hesitation. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

Thank you for the info and the photos! They’re more helpful than others I had seen on HALFacts. We’ve booked one of the corners on 4 that appear to have the larger balconies. We just booked now for this summer so options were limited but they had a corner Aft NS on 4 and an adjacent VS for others in our family so we’ve booked those two rooms and hope to enjoy the big balcony. I guess we’ll be taking very quick showers in the tiny phone booth! Thank you for the heads up on the showers and sofa configuration; it’s good to go in with realistic expectations. 

The layouts of the corner afts vary. It's possible that that your bathroom will be different.

For full disclosure (I was not trying to be deceptive in order to diss the K), yes, there is more  space in the room than my picture shows.There wasn't the large amount of space between the bed and the sofa that you get in the SAs along the side. The extra space, which you can see in the first photo below, is just open floor space in the area toward the door. It's kind of a wasted space. A plus is that this cabin has a side window. I don't think all of K's aft wraps get that, and I don't know about the ones on 4.

For comparison, corner afts on the Vistas have a similar layout, with the sofa and bed near the door and windows, and some open space farther inside. The amount of floor space varies. The second photo is an aft wrap deck 5 on Zuiderdam taken a few years ago. It has less space in the room, although there was some extra open space behind where I stood. The trade here is that The Neptune suites on the Vista ships have a dressing area with closets and a large bathroom. I consider that a fair "trade" of space. And, in the case of deck 5, the veranda is huge.

My DH needed the shower chair. I removed it when I showered and that shower was still too small--my elbows bumped the wall when I washed my hair. The annoying part was that the bathroom could have been extended into all that extra space in the room to provide a decent shower. I measured it (I had my knitting with me, so I had a tape measure) and it's 27 inches on a side. Compared to the bathrooms in the Sig suites and compared to the very large bathroom I had in one of K's  SAs, that shower was a joke, especially for such an expensive cabin.

L1020218.JPG

L1170486.JPG

• Thanks 1